Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Tatra T813 Suspension Video  (Read 26920 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Tatra T813 Suspension Video
« on: February 08, 2010, 04:57:11 pm »

Previous video with Cessna test flight apparently made some good (for most) waves in the flight sim scene. Here comes another video, this time with the Tatra T813 truck, focused on its independent swing suspension exercising on bumpy slopes somewhere in High Tatras mountains (it's not a coincidence, the truck got its name after the mountain range).

Suspension limits and parameters were set only approximately so the behavior may not be precise. But it's normal that an unloaded Tatra truck has its hind wheels in V shape.
Also the dynamically refined terrain has a higher resolution than the mesh used for physics, that may be slightly visible in closeups.

[youtube2]RNw7_lyxPmA[/youtube2]

As a technical note, both videos were captured using GPU-based compression of video frames to reduce the bandwidth needed for sustained disk writes, while not imposing a noticeable performance penalty. Since the video frames are being compressed on GPU, GPU->CPU transfers are also smaller what is a good thing as well.
 I also made a custom video codec for ffmpeg that can decode these videos so one can recompress the video directly with ffmpeg or any other tool that uses the libavcodec dll. There will be a separate blog entry with more technical description and the code to be usable for others.

ericts

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 03:22:51 am »

Very impressive. I have been using MS Flight Simulator for years. One of the main areas which FSX falls short is simulating off-runway ground textures. You seem to have mostly solved that problem. I was especially impressed in seeing how you simulated the loss of lateral traction at the end of this movie. If this is the engine for  the new Flight Simulator, I will be buying. Good work!

helio2

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:14:09 am »

Thats cool, that looks way better than the physics they used on the cars in GTA IV!
Outerra needs a Planet size modifier.   < nuff said!

4x4lover

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:29:00 pm »

wow that looks amazing

helio2

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 09:23:51 pm »

Do you guys currently have sound effects for the vehicles? Or is that not a priority right now?
Outerra needs a Planet size modifier.   < nuff said!

angrypig

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 05:06:30 am »

Quote from: helio2
Do you guys currently have sound effects for the vehicles? Or is that not a priority right now?

We don't have a sound system in engine yet. We probably will use the OpenAL API for our sound system. I already used it in previous project and it's pretty simple to incorporate it into the engine.

camz123

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 12:11:01 pm »

I was just thinking about uses for an engine like this when i thought what happens with the engine's space physics  e.g. you have a rocket in space carrying unparented props would they float around inside the ship or be pulled towards a nearby planet? Also did you make that model or download it?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 01:43:38 pm »

Well it's normal Newtonian physics so actually both are true. Both rocket and props will be pulled towards the nearby planet and thus the objects inside the rocket are "floating" with respect to it.

The model was originally made by drracer, we've got it textured and fixed a bit.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 01:04:39 pm »

That video took my breath away.  Imagine the possibilities for future games and sims. =D
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!