Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Terrain overhangs?  (Read 3518 times)

RichardAllen

Terrain overhangs?
« on: January 14, 2014, 03:32:47 am »

After the latest update to 8.0.4301 I was wandering around France for no particular reason and happened across this little area. It seemed to just pop up out of nowhere (image below). I am not sure what to ask to understand how this is possible with terrain in Outerra. it was my understanding you are using, basically, heightfield data to generate the planet geometry. How is this being done, it's fascinating!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:36:23 am by RichardAllen »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Terrain overhangs?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:45:21 am »

I've described the technique in an old blog post about horizontal displacement. Basically, in addition to the vertical displacement (heightfield) we also apply the horizontal one on sloped rocky parts, which makes those overhangs. And complicates terrain collision checking :)

Without it even the standalone rocks would be pretty boring and flat (they are a part of the "heightfield").

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:47:45 am by cameni »

RichardAllen

Re: Terrain overhangs?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 04:30:18 am »

Well, this is excellent. I have not had time to filter through all of the forum topics or 'blog posts. I will be taking more to do so. Finding gems like his makes my paltry purchase price of the Alpha version seem akin to theft. Who needs voxels*!

*disclaimer: Yes, I like voxels. Yes I like voxels for what they can do to terrain in a game. Yes to other stuff I didn't state which will relieve the burden of others telling me that voxels are cool and wonderful and I should not dismiss their innate wisdom and magnanimous attitude towards the world's charities. They give so much. :|. If you read this while taking other medication you might experience a lack of vision, complete blindness, orifice bleeding, bursting capillaries and odd fungal growths. If you experience heart attacks, strokes, embolisms or excessive bleeding from any orifice you generally are sitting on for more than 2 days you should discontinue reading this and get a beer. A dark beer. Stay thirsty my friends. None of the claims or suggestions stated here should in no way be construed as fact or medical advice.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:49:11 am by RichardAllen »