Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Too early to judge an idea  (Read 13307 times)

Burkhard

Too early to judge an idea
« on: February 10, 2010, 09:59:46 am »

Hi, let me first say hello and that your project looks like to be a very interesting one.

Let me introduce myself, I'm developing software for MSFS since about 12 years now. My current major product is an AI traffic product, for which I have built around 150 different aircraft models with almost 5000 different paints. Before that I made mesh sceneries and covered the world with Landclass sceneries, the first Land Classes beyond the USGS data.  A newer project in this context is the photorealistic coverage of Germany where I participated in the team that created the Germany VFR series, not only photo scenery with about 1 m resoultion, but also full autogen coverage of forests,, bushes and almost every hosue in Germany.
But my first project was the one that comes into mind when I see your project - I created a virtual model railway tool for FS95/FS98, and that might be an application that I see for your world, to allow users to build virtual railways in real size landscape.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:34:27 pm »

Hi Burkhard,

Welcome and thanks for coming to our forums. Yes the railways could be a perfect application here. The procedurally generated ground level detail makes the scene quite nice for the close to ground views. I don't want to try to imagine how it would look in FS.

We always planned to import the vector data for roads and railways to have the real routes, but a game where the players can build their own routes, maybe combined with some strategy - tycoon style elements could be really interesting.

I think the ultimate goal for most of the simmers and gamers is to have the various simulators integrated into one platform. Interestingly, that's the kind of people that seem to be attracted to Outerra most - people who foresee a virtual world where the space and flight simulators meet with train and cars and ship simulators.

Burkhard

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:20:33 am »

I would not stop there.

I would be happy when I drive with a tram sim to my next airport, fly to a destination with a flight sim, a monkey simulator rides me to a lovely beach, the bell rings and a delicious meal of that region gets served ( and this not virtual ).

Burkhard

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:22:01 am »

Indeed, the railways worked well in FS, until the mesh got LODs - if the height of the terrain changes by distance you can no longer build a tunnel ...

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 10:31:38 am »

Quote from: Burkhard
I would not stop there.

I would be happy when I drive with a tram sim to my next airport, fly to a destination with a flight sim, a monkey simulator rides me to a lovely beach, the bell rings and a delicious meal of that region gets served ( and this not virtual ).
Yes, that could be an interesting service indeed :cool:

Sanya2012

Re: Too early to judge an idea
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 01:10:18 pm »

Quote from: Burkhard
I would not stop there.

Yes, that could be an interesting service indeed :cool:

Highlight: the simulator has to be alive. I love myself to do the traffic based on a real traffic of aircrafts. Many fans of the traffic around the world. Is it possible to provide for the transfer of traffic, good scenerys of airports, afkads, familiar settings of the keyboard and joystick FS9?

I think it could consider a special program to transfer your settings and add-ons from the usual FS9.

With much gratitude for your work.