Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Reflection issue  (Read 5615 times)

Wilko343

Reflection issue
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:16:25 am »

Hello,

I'm busy with porting some models to Outtera, but it doesn't matter what I do, the models are always a bit reflective. I want a compelte non-reflective material.
According to the wiki on materials (xtrac.outerraworld.com/trac.fcgi/wiki/material), I would think
Code: [Select]
"f0" : "0"
"roughness" : "1"
would create a non-reflective material. But this doesn't seem the be case.

The default values
Code: [Select]
"f0" : ".027"
"roughness" : ".498"
almost work, but even then it is a bit reflective.

Am I missing something?

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Reflection issue
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 10:14:12 am »

I want a compelte non-reflective material.

... Isnt that against physics ? I mean - absolutely black object and stuff ... wait ... wait a minute ... you dont trying to import  A BLACK HOLE  do you ?

:D

I would try to give it an around 0.2 roughness there - whats the material ? Rubber ?
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Wilko343

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:09 am »

Haha okay maybe not completely. Most are medieval buildings so, stone and wood. I'll try 0.2

Wilko343

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 10:34:27 am »

Well, with rougness 0.2 it now looks like this:

PytonPago

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:54:22 am »

Hmmm ... glass embedded (nice effect doe - Zafiras breath-entombment would be classy like that - definitely a nice epoxy-resin cower :D )... sorry, forgot it was the other way around (not yet on my OT PC so couldnt cross-check) ... it should be near 1 then, but i thing it has to be slightly under 1 - like 0.973.

Also, the bumps seem to be to smooth there, specially for cubic stones. Have you tryed CrazyBumper before ? (its a 30 day trial soft, but you can quite see, what its doing whyte the classic texture to get height and normal maps - can be recreated in Gimp)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:46:35 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

zzz

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 11:09:26 am »

f0 =.01 and roughness = .8 got rid of the laminated effect for me.

You could also create a specular map that is solid black.

Wilko343

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 11:10:55 am »

Thanks PytonPago! That works pretty good, weird that it didn't work before, though. And yeah I know Crazy Bump, but this isn't my model. I can still try something, of course.

PytonPago

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 11:45:48 am »

Thanks PytonPago! That works pretty good, weird that it didn't work before, though.

Think the function does takes values only till 0.999 - maybe thats why 1 didnt work - but you can try to be sure for future speculations.

... yes, black specular is also a way. (could be used if there were some little reflective parts in there - as a part of the stones like mineral crystalline particles - may be interesting at night when additional light-sources are implemented. Classic quartz crystals or similar can be a wonder on a ridge when illuminated at night).

P.S.: Nice model. Plan to import some medieval village ?

M7

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 12:44:58 pm »

There's 2 way to enter value for textures. Angrypig explained it in another thread. You can enter value like 0 , 1   ,  2. ..... up to 255    or use a decimal value like  0   ,   .01  ,   .02  up to  1.0

So when you enter 1   it actually equal to something like .03 roughness.  To have 1oo% roughness you need to enter 1.0   or  255

Nice model you have there. The texture works really well. I got myself into playing with texturing a small medieval village i found in sketchup warehouse to experiment with texture. The hard part is to find good textures photo. So far the best place to find them is using google street view. For medieval stuff, you just need to find medieval village. The resolution is often good enough (if the building is not too far from the camera)

Anyway, i might use your well if you make it available.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:39:35 pm by M7 »

Wilko343

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 04:37:25 pm »

Thanks, I did use "1" instead of "1.0" and was kinda confused!. But this isn't my well, unfortunately. I got it from here: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/697082
But I did remove double vertices, and I also created some normal maps. So I can upload my well as a package if you want.

I'm also trying to create a medieval village, and I have ported some building succesfully now. (Again, not my models) Like these:

Maybe we need a medieval thread, so everyone can post their medieval stuff?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:45:20 pm by Wilko343 »