Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: What is possible?  (Read 4312 times)

cshiel

What is possible?
« on: March 04, 2014, 08:34:52 am »

Ok I see I can setup vehicles, buildings, create terrain, roads.

Can I do custom scripting with access to an API?

Can I create weapons + weapons effects?

Sorry for asking if there is an obvious answer but I see no documentation/tutorials.

zzz

Re: What is possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 09:31:37 am »

Vehicles, buildings, roads - yes. I think there is the ability to level terrain in the game and other people have created new worlds for the engine.

Scripting and API - I think access is coming in the future.

Weapons - there are weapons in the game but I think they also need API access to be created.

cshiel

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:01:10 am »

Yeah seems quite limited ATM. Is there an ETA for the SDK?

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 11:53:12 am »

only stuff on the wiki ( http://xtrac.outerraworld.com/trac.fcgi/wiki/Importer ) and few details on the forum pages .. they will do some stuff, once crucial stuff is finished ... but, if something specific is in mind - just write AngriPig or Cameni - their helpful if its not a secret or under outside-license protection ... 
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cshiel

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 12:20:11 pm »

only stuff on the wiki ( http://xtrac.outerraworld.com/trac.fcgi/wiki/Importer ) and few details on the forum pages .. they will do some stuff, once crucial stuff is finished ... but, if something specific is in mind - just write AngriPig or Cameni - their helpful if its not a secret or under outside-license protection ...

Yes I think the project is still a ways off being a game engine, but maybe its getting there slowly it seems.

I was hoping it was like more completed game engine with SDK for writing my own code to extend functionality for example:
-Write custom importers/exporters.
-Write networking component.
-Create waypoint editor system.
-Create weapons systems.
-Modify GUI.
-Modify shaders.
etc, etc.

It seems like Outerra is not quite sure what it wants to become yet, no definite roadmaps, documentation, and so on?

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 01:11:09 pm »

Yes ... been following their work for ... 3 years now ? Work seems to be slow, there were only two on it you see, but once the importer came, i started doing my little stuff here for it. Found, that the time, in matter of my hobby needs, just suits well anyway. Actually, on the fact they have a lot else work on their hands too, done quite a lot in that time anyway. As for a roadmap - know a fella done something like that from all the forum info (cant quite remember, where he put it - im sure, someone shows up the link for ya) and they have the eye for simulator-use in main, doe a lot things they do for the Engine is used in else project they have (or vice versa) so sometimes occupies them something timely more important. As for next - still biomes (till vegetation's and stuff) together whyte clouds are the big things to do for them  (besides to crosschecking and eliminating HW/driver support issues at any update). Doe, some vector-data layers for urban communications and even an city-generator were discussed too. Way is long, but it gets its way nicely to this point. - manuals are a little of hand for their four hands and uncompromising time-flow for our species (and system we live white-in), but also OT isnt much complete for them to focus much on it anyway. So for now, just ask them if you need something closer to know and try to use in full potential of the actual alpha tools for your project as much you can do. --- P.S.: well, the weapon system caught my eye, maybe i will get to ya for that when my little monsters are ready modeled to get serious on them, giving ya some stuff to play whyte. (shooting its just an show-off for that mercenary guy right now, but im looking forward to their great schemes plans) :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.