Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question about vertices.  (Read 15236 times)

professorx

Question about vertices.
« on: March 04, 2014, 04:36:23 pm »

Hello. I am learning to import models and I recently ran into a problem.
I am trying to import a building but I keep getting this error.

I figured that I need to reduce the amount of vertices, but can't figure out how. I tried deleting a few objects that weren't important but the error still came up.
So the question is, how do I reduce the number of vertices?

here is the model
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:42:30 pm by professorx »

DeanosBeano

Re: Question about vertices.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 05:27:03 pm »

Delete the Sign and it should be ok , looks like they are Heavy with vertices , better to make a sqaure and apply good texture instead

Your Model ?

professorx

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:56:51 pm »

Delete the Sign and it should be ok , looks like they are Heavy with vertices , better to make a sqaure and apply good texture instead

Your Model ?

This worked but I was hoping there was a way where I didn't have to delete objects.
Also, not mine. Some free model I stumbled upon.

DeanosBeano

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:03:36 pm »

There are ways to do it but first I would advise you drop that $6000 programme your using and load up blender , its free and the community around have some amazing tutorials on youtube et al .

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 11:29:46 pm »

There are ways to do it but first I would advise you drop that $6000 programme your using and load up blender , its free and the community around have some amazing tutorials on youtube et al .

lol, your actually telling him to downgrade?  ;D

From what I can tell you are in good hands regardless of whether you use Max or Blender. Max has an absolutely huge community and that 3D Studio Max bible book is bloody awesome. I'm a blender man myself but I have given Max a go in the past. My opinion is if you have paid $6000 for a program, use it otherwise what a total waste.

In terms of reducing vertices I suggest google. I am not being critical here but after I tested it I came up with the following results right at the beginning with next to no effort (5 seconds ?)

* How to reduce the no of polygons of 3D model using 3DS Max 9.0
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5217894/how-to-reduce-the-no-of-polygons-of-3d-model-using-3ds-max-9-0

* How to: Reduce Polygon Count in 3DS Max Easily
http://mycreativedaddy.com/how-to-reduce-polygon-count-in-3ds-max-easily/

* MultiRes Modifier
http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-DFD94E0F-7B08-4945-A176-42B49B8F458E.htm,topicNumber=d30e89444

The MultiRes modifier reduces the memory overhead needed to render models by decreasing the number of vertices and polygons. This is useful not only within 3ds Max, but for content creators who export models for use outside of 3ds Max, such as in Web-based 3D applications. MultiRes offers several advantages over the Optimize modifier, including faster operation and the ability to specify reduction as an exact percentage or vertex count.

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND  :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:34:17 pm by PaulMoffat »
Who said there were no real predators in New Zealand? Us Kiwis don't just fly, we bite hard too!

professorx

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:50:24 pm »

From what I can tell you are in good hands regardless of whether you use Max or Blender. Max has an absolutely huge community and that 3D Studio Max bible book is bloody awesome. I'm a blender man myself but I have given Max a go in the past. My opinion is if you have paid $6000 for a program, use it otherwise what a total waste.

In terms of reducing vertices I suggest google. I am not being critical here but after I tested it I came up with the following results right at the beginning with next to no effort (5 seconds ?)

* How to reduce the no of polygons of 3D model using 3DS Max 9.0
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5217894/how-to-reduce-the-no-of-polygons-of-3d-model-using-3ds-max-9-0

* How to: Reduce Polygon Count in 3DS Max Easily
http://mycreativedaddy.com/how-to-reduce-polygon-count-in-3ds-max-easily/

* MultiRes Modifier
http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-DFD94E0F-7B08-4945-A176-42B49B8F458E.htm,topicNumber=d30e89444

The MultiRes modifier reduces the memory overhead needed to render models by decreasing the number of vertices and polygons. This is useful not only within 3ds Max, but for content creators who export models for use outside of 3ds Max, such as in Web-based 3D applications. MultiRes offers several advantages over the Optimize modifier, including faster operation and the ability to specify reduction as an exact percentage or vertex count.

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND  :D

I looked through those yesterday. tried polygon cruncher but didn't work.

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:56:01 pm »

How much vertices are actually in the model? Can you find out? Blender displays it on the screen pretty much constantly but I cant remember where that information is in Max. Also where did you get the Model from? I would really like to try exporting it from within Blender and also I might be able to drop the vertex count for you if you cant find a way.
Who said there were no real predators in New Zealand? Us Kiwis don't just fly, we bite hard too!

M7

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 11:59:52 pm »

The multires modifier look  pretty interesting. Will definatly check this out.  As for professorx model, 65000 poly is not that big for a model but the whole model maybe into one big mesh. You just need to break it into several smaller meshes. Like possibly select the big mesh, add edit poly modifier then select some portion of it and hit detach. I'm not that familiar with max but i did something similar with a million faces model in sketchup. I separated the big mesh into 3 groups and it imported fine.

professorx

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 12:16:11 am »

How much vertices are actually in the model? Can you find out? Blender displays it on the screen pretty much constantly but I cant remember where that information is in Max. Also where did you get the Model from? I would really like to try exporting it from within Blender and also I might be able to drop the vertex count for you if you cant find a way.
there is 41,689 vertices, it's in the pic.

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 12:23:12 am »

Oh yeah it is too. Took me ages to see it even when I knew it was there somewhere.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 02:59:42 am »

M7 is right there, no need to go much down whyte poly-reduction, just split it into more parts and parent it to a group, so the importer loads them all in.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

professorx

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 04:21:02 am »

M7 is right there, no need to go much down whyte poly-reduction, just split it into more parts and parent it to a group, so the importer loads them all in.
Ah, I figured if I split them up, outerra would have imported them as individual models.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 04:33:11 am »

Ah, I figured if I split them up, outerra would have imported them as individual models.

Normally yes - that's why you need to parent them - just pick one of the parts, name it, as you like it to be called and parent all others to it. (you can too make an empty mesh whyte the name to witch parent it).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

DeanosBeano

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 07:07:36 am »

Hmm not sure what you mean  Max 9.0 is better than Blender 2.7 or 2.69 ? no point him learning things form yesteryear and finding comminty scripts dont work anymore etc  .  I offered advice given the situation of someone using a commercial product who has loaded an uknown model and is struggling with how to decimate it .
  I was there some years ago and decided to use blender , I wouldnt say I downgraded I prefer I set a more measurable aim and it worked for me .

First Normal maps are better than many verts for gaming exp[lained here

Decimating here

so on and so forth .

Now he has 3ds Max and Blender to choose  and with blender he can have Dev branch and stable  infact i have 4 versions  because new 2.70 UI is like Max i dont like it.

EDIT  , he tells me Blender lags when he applies textures so i guees Blender not for professorX so all moot.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:47:06 am by DeanosBeano »

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 11:19:35 pm »

Hmm not sure what you mean  Max 9.0 is better than Blender 2.7 or 2.69 ? no point him learning things form yesteryear and finding comminty scripts dont work anymore etc  .  I offered advice given the situation of someone using a commercial product who has loaded an uknown model and is struggling with how to decimate it .
  I was there some years ago and decided to use blender , I wouldnt say I downgraded I prefer I set a more measurable aim and it worked for me .

EDIT  , he tells me Blender lags when he applies textures so i guees Blender not for professorX so all moot.

In terms of downgrade I meant from a financial perspective. $6k is alot of money. It is how much I paid for my car. My computer was $5k. I've seen modelling and renderings from both sides of the Max/Blender fence and with a very talented artist the software comparisons become pointless. From my standpoint both products are so over powered and featured I'd spend the rest of my life trying to learn everything from one of them.

Either way, good luck professorX  :D
Pages: [1] 2