Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: network support? multi instance?  (Read 8483 times)

EagleEye

network support? multi instance?
« on: January 28, 2011, 08:26:50 am »

Can somebody explain if network support is available/planned? I work in the area of distributed simulation and looking for new visualization tools. This engine looks very impressive and I am wondering if it could support my needs. Typical in my environment are multi channel image generators up to 8 channels across multiple systems.

My main concern is whether the terrain generation is deterministic. For example if a tree exits (is rendered) in a specific spot, will it always be there if the instance is run again or is running on an other machine?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 09:36:10 am »

Do you need just a networking protocol that can be used to instantiate objects, send positional and other data, manipulate the camera and so on? Or a networking support with multiple computers connected together, syncing their locally controlled instances?

Terrain generation is indeed deterministic, else it would seriously limit its use in practically every area.

EagleEye

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:47:39 am »

Quote from: cameni
Do you need just a networking protocol that can be used to instantiate objects, send positional and other data, manipulate the camera and so on?
That is one requirement. All the stuff coming out of the sim...
Or a networking support with multiple computers connected together, syncing their locally controlled instances?
And that is the other one. I have one projection system with 8 projectors, whit each take care of a part of the whole image. The channels must be sync'ed (UDP soft sync works quite well) to eliminate tearing effects, etc. Detailed viewport control is essential here which is a bit more than just pitch and yaw.
Terrain generation is indeed deterministic, else it would seriously limit its use in practically every area.
Very nice!! Impressive what you achieved so far. Keep up the good work and I will contact you directly in a few months from now.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:52:49 am »

So just using it as image generators from a single simulation source, synchronized display for cockpits. Nothing like a distributed simulation where each computer would be controlling its own simulation and the networking having to sync it all.