Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Graphics Capture, Auto Compression, Video Making in Outerra.  (Read 16770 times)

OGREMAN

Graphics Capture, Auto Compression, Video Making in Outerra.
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:26:09 am »

I have Just come across a tech remark explaining that because Outerra De-Compresses data on the fly and has an embedded re-compression tool of captured graphics. It can make video with great ease, this led me to reflect on how my various flight sims handle graphics capture/film making. They mostly require that you use 3rd party software to capture, edit compress and compile video. However the sim programs have 2 very important tools that allow for "maximising film creativity"
[list=*]
  • 1.A fully automated recording device that captures only hard 3D data (not graphics) of the positional and vector situation of all active objects, storing this data in a form known as a "track file", the data can then be re-played by the program directly in the Virtual world. The re-play reproduces the action as completely as if it were a Video Record but the clever bit is that all in game camera functions remain accessible including camera position select, pause/play/rewind/slow motion which allows the film maker to position cameras so as to video record events that were not visible in real time and from any perspective.

2. Vital to creative video making is a built in camera position control that is operated by keypress & mouse selecting various points of view such as, Chase view(both locked and unlocked),Free form  auto object tracking and flyby. Then the basics such as zoom & pan .[/*]
I have every faith that the Outerra team are fully aware of the massive PR boost their engine will get when fans begin making and publishing jaw dropping videos of the fun they are having in this engine. I welcome your thoughts on this subject....... anyone!
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:39:31 am »

you mean recording just object position and direction (some kind of euler coordinates)?
At first i thought you had programmed this application yet. But at the second shot i noticed, that this is proposal and so i think that this could/should be another point on the large TODO-List. Not even the first one.

But i agree in your opinion that third party recorders shouldn't be used. I dont know what is in use yet. In every  video i can see the outerra logo instead of fraps. So maybe they did their own recorder. I dont know - and actually it doesnt matter, because the videos are high qualy and they are looking fantastic.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:15:44 am »

Yes, there's a built-in video capture that was described in this blog post. It will be normally available in games/demos using the engine, you will only need a transcoding tool to convert the captured video data to usual video formats. The tool and the format description can be found here.

What OGREMAN says is of course more powerful for movie making. We would like to implement a similar system, together with the ability to define camera paths in time&space. It will result in smoother and more professional videos.

Edding3000

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 11:16:09 am »

OGREMAN

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 03:56:27 pm »

Quote from: necro
you mean recording just object position and direction (some kind of euler coordinates)?
At first i thought you had programmed this application yet. But at the second shot i noticed, that this is proposal and so i think that this could/should be another point on the large TODO-List. Not even the first one.

But i agree in your opinion that third party recorders shouldn't be used. I dont know what is in use yet. In every  video i can see the outerra logo instead of fraps. So maybe they did their own recorder. I dont know - and actually it doesnt matter, because the videos are high qualy and they are looking fantastic.

Hi Necro,
I agree with you that the video capture as seen in the engine is excellent and needs no suggestions from me, Cameni 'hit the nail on the head' with his remark that the thrust of my comments are about creating a powerful "camera control" tool that users of the engine can use cratively to make video of their activities. I think that providing such a tool in the demo will greatly accelerate the reputation of this fantastic engine because ordinary users will be publishing their vids, resulting videos will very quickly be spread around interested parties, great PR.
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:06:15 pm »

Sure? I think the great PR will result through new content which is showed in individual modifications. I would build some cool models for importing them. But actually.. the engine is too highly eyecatching. Increasing this wow-effect would not result in more interested parties.

I'm not against new camera modes like flyby but this will not affect the PR ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:34:30 pm »

Quote from: OGREMAN
I think that providing such a tool in the demo will greatly accelerate the reputation of this fantastic engine because ordinary users will be publishing their vids, resulting videos will very quickly be spread around interested parties, great PR.
I agree with necro on this one - the argument seems to be somewhat stretched. Certainly it's not necessary that much for the demo; besides, I think it's being used commonly only in simulators. In other games it can be used for trailers, but in user made videos it would look a bit artificial (as in the trailers).

OGREMAN

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 05:53:13 pm »

Quote from: cameni
I agree with necro on this one - the argument seems to be somewhat stretched. Certainly it's not necessary that much for the demo; besides, I think it's being used commonly only in simulators. In other games it can be used for trailers, but in user made videos it would look a bit artificial (as in the trailers).
Well Cameni.... I must say I am struck dumb by this .... I never imagined you might cast aside such a chance at increasing audience/public exposure and thereby potential sales. I thought a slick camera control tool might be just right to encourage proliferation of the Outerra presence, you know what I mean.
Not being a programme writer I thought that as the main tools for video making are already in place it would be a reletively simple thing to increase functionality, seems I am wrong there! ahh what would I know, I bow to your superior knowledge on this and pray that I can still make good vids in the Outerra Demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 01:23:40 am »

Video capture system is totally independent from that functionality. It just captures the screen and streams the compressed data to disk. The system needed for saving world state or inputs and allowing to alter camera paths is a separate functionality, and it's not trivial to implement either.

Besides, as I have said already, I don't think that it is the functionality we have to provide in the demo to increase the exposure. There are heaps of other stuff that still aren't there, that would surely increase the exposure much more.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 02:46:49 am »

Quote from: OGREMAN
ahh what would I know, I bow to your superior knowledge on this and pray that I can still make good vids in the Outerra Demo.

I dont think that you will reach your goals with trolling around the corner like an ogre.. ow.. man >_>.
By the way!:
nearly every professional game postprocess videos if they were captured ingame. So you could also use adobe premiere or something else for gaining superior videos by your self. Do you have any references which i can view? Did you ever made good videos?

And as i mentioned (cameni also) before, this engine will level up the game-engines like the infinity engine does some years ago. So why wasting time with implementing some rarely used camera functions instead of particles, right exposition under water, trees, ...?

OGREMAN

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 10:25:41 am »

Quote from: necro
I dont think that you will reach your goals with trolling around the corner like an ogre.. ow.. man >_>.
By the way!:
nearly every professional game postprocess videos if they were captured ingame. So you could also use adobe premiere or something else for gaining superior videos by your self. Do you have any references which i can view? Did you ever made good videos?

And as i mentioned (cameni also) before, this engine will level up the game-engines like the infinity engine does some years ago. So why wasting time with implementing some rarely used camera functions instead of particles, right exposition under water, trees, ...?

I must first apologise to OT guys for the directness of this post.

Necro I have read your comments and given them due consideration, this thread I think has reached its conclusion and should now quietly end because the people that matter have very kindly given us their views which I accept without reservation.

My motivations for this line of enquiry were I thought made clear in the opening post of this thread yet judging from your posts, you seem to believe that you have been appointed as chief of the newly formed thought police, and that I have somehow transgressed your very revered code of law.

I find your tone and manner dismissive, combative and downright insulting. Do us all a big favour and GO OPPRESS SOMEONE ELSE.
As to your questions ..... I don’t have to provide you or anyone else with references just because I happen to be curious about something, I was led to believe this is a forum .
Coincidently I have made a couple of "fan vids", but not of a quality that I would site as good enough for Outerra. However if your very restrictive code of conduct would allow I would direct you to this example of the kind of thing I was thinking about.  

Finally necro may I venture to suggest, a signature often says more about a person than they may be aware of...... you might do well to review yours.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 10:55:51 am »

Sure, i could start a flamewar. But thats not the sense of this forum/thread. Think whatever you want. Nobody needs my view of this. Neither cameni nor angrypig. I was just explaining why your claims were somelike.. insolent. Lol it seems that you wanted to extort the team like "give me my tools or nobody will like your engine as he could"(exaggerated).. thats why i declared you as a kind of troll (ogre).
And yah.. my signature says more than thousands words about me and my opinion. In my eyes almost every suggestor dont consider the whole work behind the scenes. Thats annoying me, but its also a kind of fun. I saw many projects epically failing because they had just fantastic ideas in their minds - and no one who could implement this. Not in 50 years.
So feel free to diskarma me if you dont aggree. Do what ever you want. Maybe you can build your own engine with these camera features. I will evaluate this objectively. As i evaluated everything what you said. I even aggreed with you in some points.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 10:59:00 am »

Guys, please cool down.

It's true, necro, that some of your remarks were .. unnecessary. I myself would not be offended by them (why, I'm used to angrypig's :D), but they may feel offensive to others, even if not meant really so. It could be said more effectively in a more polite way, please do so until you and OGREMAN are friends that can stand some levels of combative ribbing.

On the other hand, OGREMAN - I can imagine a better reply, one that would not automatically escalate the conflict more. I feel you both would benefit from taking on the issue in a lighter manner.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 11:00:19 am »

No need to apologize Ogreman; this sort of thing has happened once before.
And yah.. my signature says more than thousands words about me and my opinion. In my eyes almsot every suggestor dont consider the whole work behind the scenes. Thats annoy me, but its also a kind of fun. I saw many projects epically failing because they had just fantastic ideas in their minds - and no one who could implement this. Not in 50 years.
Would you call this fantastic idea that took over 40 years to realize a failure?
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 11:21:57 am »

Quote from: RaikoRaufoss
Would you call this fantastic idea that took over 40 years to realize a failure?

Now if we had the money that went into this one .. :D

.. we'd probably hire a loads of incompetent people and choke the project down in a big way, like APB did  ;)
I mean, it's hardly comparable. And yes, we have to consider the features carefully - as almost anybody, we too are full of ideas of cool things, but it will be all for naught if we don't survive .. or tap into taxpayer's money :)
Pages: [1] 2