Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Think Outerra is up to this?  (Read 12133 times)

HiFlyer

Think Outerra is up to this?
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:18:35 am »

Mathijs over at Aerosoft posted this pic as an example of how far Simulator graphics still had to go. Yet I suspect that outerra could actually do a credible job of this.

What do you think?

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

SpaceFlight

Re: Think Outerra is up to this?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:58:02 am »

Since OT can incorporate digital elevation models, I would think with the right input, like a super detailed DEM, it could be possible.
The NASA dataset currently in use is relatively coarse (90m).
There were discussions a while back about more detailed DEMs (can't find it now).
It should be possible to incorporate different datasets with different levels of accuracy into OT, but "stitching" issues could arise with the surroundings where the dataset is more coarse, or where it is handled entirely procedurally.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 12:19:21 pm »

Since OT can incorporate digital elevation models, I would think with the right input, like a super detailed DEM, it could be possible.
The NASA dataset currently in use is relatively coarse (90m).
There were discussions a while back about more detailed DEMs (can't find it now).
It should be possible to incorporate different datasets with different levels of accuracy into OT, but "stitching" issues could arise with the surroundings where the dataset is more coarse, or where it is handled entirely procedurally.

I'm hoping so. There are places people will automatically go to check things out, like the Grand Canyon, Mount Everest etc. I've been looking all over for cool Outerra landmarks.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 05:50:19 pm »

Thats nothing special really. DEMs with that detail exist and Outerra can handle them. So... bring it on!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 02:34:00 pm »

The question is ... is outerra ready for bolivia

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 02:38:49 pm »

Zeos, at least it won`t have to calculate reflections! Most of these building have no glass on the windows! :P
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 02:55:33 pm »

A valley of glass ?  ;D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HORUSRA

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 08:17:06 pm »

I'm sure we well see this too, but I guess elevation dataset would have to be most accurate

Kauai:
http://es.atlasofwonders.com/2011/10/kauai-na-pali.html

And some "odd" rocks (this will be more difficult, I know)

HiFlyer

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 09:59:20 pm »

The problem will be even approximately matching the wild variation of texture, form and color of nature.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 12:32:05 am »

I think we need to lower the texture color from 500m to 200m. See what that does.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 01:50:25 am »

I think we need to lower the texture color from 500m to 200m. See what that does.

... rock-color is good - dust particles are those, witch give the scene a "Snow cower". Maybe a dynamic dust effect leaving trails ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HiFlyer

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 03:48:18 pm »

There's a video I like that kind of illustrates the hugeness of the task Outerra has before it. The earth has such a variety of biomes and textures that poor Outerra can't even dream of a hope of capturing more than the smallest fraction. Which fractions will they choose?

(Hopefully the guys find this inspiring rather than daunting)

And help!! I don't know how to make the video show here!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:57:26 pm by HiFlyer »

M7

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 05:58:20 pm »

You just need to use the URL and delete the s  then use the hyperlink code

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v2L2UGZJAM&feature=youtu.be

I think Cameni and Angrypig have for at least for 20 years of coding to get 20% of what we see in the video  ;D

As it is now it seems to be the same procedural algorithm all over the place. The canyon type of geology that the OP is showing is quite different than the montainious/plaines type we have. There's hundred of possible types of geology but i wonder if more than one can coexist in OT?

James

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 07:47:32 pm »

I think Cameni and Angrypig have for at least for 20 years of coding to get 20% of what we see in the video  ;D

As it is now it seems to be the same procedural algorithm all over the place. The canyon type of geology that the OP is showing is quite different than the montainious/plaines type we have. There's hundred of possible types of geology but i wonder if more than one can coexist in OT?

Beautiful video. I hope Outerra will look something like it one day. I also hope that day is sooner, rather than later.

HiFlyer

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 01:35:38 am »

Beautiful video. I hope Outerra will look something like it one day. I also hope that day is sooner, rather than later.

I actually thought the waterfalls would be one of the hardest things to create but a quick YouTube search showed some very nice examples of procedural waterfalls.
Pages: [1] 2