Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: How does syncing Google maps work?  (Read 4686 times)

KingZead

How does syncing Google maps work?
« on: May 12, 2014, 09:07:16 am »

I am hoping to use this engine to create a game when that becomes a possibility. I would like to import a city from google maps but will it stay in 2D or will it change to 3D

Jagerbomber

Re: How does syncing Google maps work?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:14:20 am »

That's... not how it works.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

KingZead

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:01:53 pm »

then how

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:31:44 am »

Google has its own atabank of structures in some special format, also, exporting it right from the map-tool cant go (and im sure they would haunt you whyte legal rights for that) ... also the detail-level is horrifying. Cameni doe will work on an procedural city-builder, that posibly will work whyte layout-plans or pure road-data. It may take a while t get there for them, but it is on the schedule-list.

There are some progs doing such things even from aerial data, doe a little tunning is neded there too :

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:33:31 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

SpaceFlight

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 04:54:14 pm »

They will most likely use OpenStreet Map for the import of road data, that was mentioned many times.
I think it also has 3D data (or however it is called) for some buildings, which can be imported too. Don't expect those to be very detailed though.
As Pyton said before, a procedural city generator may come into play here.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:42:13 am by SpaceFlight »
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan