Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weapons  (Read 32281 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Weapons
« on: March 03, 2011, 04:43:48 am »

The first concern is time. If it is truly 1500 years AFTER the year 2200, what the hell are weapons going to look like? What will they fire and how hard will they be to reload?

I personally don't like the idea of laser or ray guns. As seen on a documentary of "future wars" they would most likely emit a silent long lasting invisible beam capable of burning a target at an almost infinite range. BORING!

Stepping back in time to gunpowder is tempting but a bit unbelievable. So I move on to an only slightly futuristic concept of rail guns which is more my style. Those are cannons or handheld guns that fire a metal projectile with electro-magnets, as demonstrated here by the US Navy...

[youtube]UBTbhSFfuNM[/youtube]

That projectile was fired at Mach 7 and didn't hit the ground for ~120 Nautical Miles because it followed the curvature of the earth! I presume the bigger ships in OT may have that kind of thing but the concept can be applied for a rifle application.

The benefit of this type of weapon is the familiar reloading characteristics where a magazine of projectiles will need to be supplied and that mag could also contain the ______ fuel/energy required to charge the weapon. It could retain a standard-ish design characteristic and it also makes a hell of a sound!

I have always liked my guns short and stockless with the ability to either fold out a stock or screw on an extended barrel for those hard to reach radioactive spiders. Simple designs like this with some slight modifications such as bigger magazines to accommodate the energy pack should suffice.

Going entirely electromagnetic is a good idea because I can see plenty of scrap, able to be turned into ammunition whether it be from parts of the landing ship or wreckage from the civilization's past. The weapons will require this magical energy we are all trying to harvest and it is a concept not too far out for current gamers. In most future shooters the rail gun is the last weapon obtained and is the most powerful so giving it to them strait away would be awesome in anticipation of the gun that shoots bee's to be released later that year.

Any vehicle mounted guns can be larger but instead of a standard projectile they could fire handful's of shrapnel at longer intervals sort of like a massive shotgun.

The variety of weapons will be non-existent at first I am sure. A single type of rifle on the landing craft and none equipped to vehicles. Those sort of upgrades can occur later on.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Weapons
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 06:09:01 am »

Note that during those ~1500 years after launch the technology practically didn't evolve at all, not aboard a ship where your primary concern is to preserve what you have got.
Me, I'd move the launch earlier than 2500. How soon can humanity assemble a such ship on the orbit from now?

I guess that more exotic weapons will require exotic materials, that won't be easily available right after landing the base. But the default weapon could be something more modern .. an electromagnetic one, or a plasma firing .. thing.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Weapons
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:22:07 am »

Me, I'd move the launch earlier than 2500. How soon can humanity assemble a such ship on the orbit from now?

That's been my thought too.  I'd say late 22nd century is a good starting point.

On the note of weapons, I like the rail gun idea.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Weapons
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:21:28 am »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
That's been my thought too.  I'd say late 22nd century is a good starting point.

On the note of weapons, I like the rail gun idea.
As do I.  Perhaps the railgun could be combined with a projectile frame that generates a magnetic field that holds super-excited plasma?
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

C. Shawn Smith

Weapons
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:38:20 am »

I think conventional ammunition, for the most part, should be the normal.  Energy based weapons should be heavy upgrades that will take awhile to build.

Lasers should also be in game, but more like current lasers used in the field (what little there is).  I imagine by the end of this century, laser-based platforms (whether on-board aircraft or in tank-like vehicles) will be a lot more commonplace as it becomes easier to develop smaller "batteries" for lack of a better word.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Weapons
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:40:04 am »

I guarantee Kel-Tec would pay you to put some of their weapons in-game. I just love this new shotgun they are debuting. (American's love new guns)

http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/preview-kel-tec-shotgun-ksg/

It's a pump shotgun that expels used shells below the stock and has a lever to choose which of the two, seven round tubes it feeds the ammunition from. So you can load Shot and Slug and choose between them.

I would put a 12" barrel extension and bi-pod on with a 3-6X scope and make a 12 gage sniper rifle.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

SpaceFlight

Weapons
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 03:02:53 am »

Hmm, some kind of a plasma pistol could be useful too:

relatively small railgun with current technology:

electromagnetic weapons:

or, when everything else fails:

;)
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

C. Shawn Smith

Weapons
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 04:56:35 am »

+1 for the pink hello kitty gun =P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Weapons
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 05:33:56 am »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
I would put a 12" barrel extension and bi-pod on with a 3-6X scope and make a 12 gage sniper rifle.

Sometime we need to make our own dreams come true.

krunkskimo

Weapons
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 03:20:03 pm »

lazors are ineffective, the borg can adapt to them.

somethings dont have a better alternative and all you can do is improve on it.

Lawrs

Weapons
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 04:33:06 pm »

The sub-forum called "Building/Transportation/Driving Game" gets a thread with weapons... why?

C. Shawn Smith

Weapons
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 05:03:05 pm »

If you read the other threads, you'll realize that combat will eventually be part of the game.  This thread gives the developers some ideas of what the community would like to see in the game, and see if it would be potentially possible.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Weapons
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 10:04:37 pm »

I tried to make threads for all the possible ..."things" you find in a usual game. Each subject may be expanded if a subject gets too crowded with sub-topics. IE Transportation and vehicles may need to break down to land air sea..

bradp191

Weapons
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 06:19:44 pm »

Rail guns would be great weapons for the future setting.  EMP- type weapons would also be a nice addition.  You could equip combat vehicles and defensive structures with laser-based active defensive systems.  We have these currently in use against mortar and artillery projectiles.  They detonate the ordinance in the air before it reaches it's target.  In the future, they could also be effective against missiles and rockets.  In this case, I'd make them ineffective against rail gun projectiles.  For the really heavy stuff, you could use large rail guns similar to the United States Navy's current project.  At higher tech levels, perhaps you could implement orbiters that fire kinetic rods (currently being researched) as well as weapon systems for destroying the orbiters.  This could beget countermeasures on the orbiters that give it a chance of survival as well.

Love this whole concept.  Keep up the good work.

Redrobes

• http://www.viewingdale.com
Weapons
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 09:29:50 pm »

I have two points. First is that as weapons get more powerful, so will the armor and I think armoring against laser based weapons will be easier than with kinetic or plasma types.

Secondly I don't think that too far ahead in the future people will carry guns at all. In fact I think the whole combat thing will be more remote with smaller more compact drones going in and rocket / antigrav type platformed arrays of drones will do the actual work of targeting. You could track the incoming projectile and assuming that your not a single target getting wiped out, you could return the fire right back to the shooter. With remote drones it might not be possible. Certainly less possible. In the same vein, a persons eye will not be the main targeting sensor and a human reaction will be too slow in the not so distant future anyway. I think ground troops will become Apaches with pilots and gunners which will become man controller remote Apaches which will become autonomous which will get smaller, faster then cheaper and more swarm like in time.
Pages: [1] 2