Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: City Building - huge market  (Read 6520 times)

jacquesbrits1

City Building - huge market
« on: August 07, 2014, 02:39:30 am »

With all game/software/product that you want to sell you have to have an market for the the product and fortunately the Outerra product sells it self because it is something that has not been created yet, but...

If you want to create a game that sells very easily i would suggest you guys create a city building game (like simcity 4) on top of your engine there has not been a proper city building game for YEARS !!! and the biggest fall back to all city building games is the map size, and fortunately for Outerra that is not a problem.

There is still allot of people that are still playing the old simcity 4 that was released in September 22, 2003 as it was the last descend one but is very old. there where other releases but didn't supplied what the community wanted.

Cities XL : Original Company went bankrupt and poor performance was done for the game and lost allot of players.
Simcity (2013): Nice simulations and mechanics but far to small maps and players got frustrated as they want to build massive cities.

references of communities:
http://www.simtropolis.com/
http://www.sc4ever.com/
http://www.sc4devotion.com/forums/
http://www.simcityplaza.de/

Developing a city building game will also be a great test for your engine as it wont demand as much graphics and detail as a First Person Shooter and will be a great benchmark for future development wit other games.

in short what the comunity want is... and i am certain you can do this  ;D

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Re: City Building - huge market
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:45:26 am »

True, I`ve been hooked with SimCity lately. Outerra`s scale would be perfect for such a game.
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 02:36:38 pm »

I hope not the new SimCity...
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 02:42:54 pm »

I hope not the new SimCity...

It is the new one!  ::)
Its not that bad actually.
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 04:43:31 pm »

I bought it day 1 (actually pre-ordered) hoping that it might return to being awesome again after loving SC4 after SC Societies was absolutely horrible (not made by Maxis), but the new SimCity made by Maxis was extremely disappointing as well, in its own ways.  And EA is only making things worse, just like all the stuff they've removed from Sims 4 and NHL 15.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

jacquesbrits1

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 01:50:20 am »

Agree Maxis should really try to connect with the community first and find out what the people love about there originals, at the moment they are only pursuing there own personal goals toward creating games and is a big fail... like with anything in the market today if you want to sell allot (and people like what you have), you have to develop what the market/people wants, not the other way around.

Imagine cities in Outerra that trade resources with each other, where one city sells goods to another city on a global, economic scale, where hundreds of people play on one global earth/map !! :)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 02:25:59 am »

Maxis isn't Maxis anymore.  It's pretty much safe to say it's just EA at this point.

It sure didn't take long to say that about Popcap either.