Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: A question about view distance.  (Read 6062 times)

HiFlyer

A question about view distance.
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:40:53 pm »

While its known that faraway mountains are visible and Outerra boasts of Infinite view distance, I've found that very long roads appear to be visible only for a relatively short distance, with new sections "snapping" abruptly into view as you approach from the air. This makes me a bit worried.

Fortunately, from earlier experiments (and also currently) it seems buildings don't share this behavior, but I am wondering about the roads. Any way to extend the view distance?
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: A question about view distance.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 02:37:10 am »

Roads are a part of the terrain, so the view distance depends on your terrain quality settings. Additionally, right now the roads are only rendered up to L12 terrain level but not higher, regardless of the road width. This will change, with wider roads and rivers going also into coarser LODs, and possibly adjustable for higher end machines.

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 04:44:33 pm »

Roads are a part of the terrain, so the view distance depends on your terrain quality settings. Additionally, right now the roads are only rendered up to L12 terrain level but not higher, regardless of the road width. This will change, with wider roads and rivers going also into coarser LODs, and possibly adjustable for higher end machines.

Cool!
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

HiFlyer

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 01:06:25 am »

Coming back to this, I was flying towards Acetones Talkeetna test scenery looking to make a landing, and saw no sign of the airport where I thought it should be.

Then, WHAM the whole airport suddenly popped into view right in front of me, but I was much too high to land. I hope this popping-in  behavior becomes modifiable sooner rather than later since it will be a big concern to people looking at Outerra as a flight-sim engine.

As mentioned in this old topic, even ten miles might be enough. http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=79.0

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:19:51 pm by HiFlyer »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:29:09 am »

Outerra has infinite view distance. It is where the roadways are set to popup that needs adjusting.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

HiFlyer

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 12:50:09 pm »

Outerra has infinite view distance. It is where the roadways are set to popup that needs adjusting.

Is it possible to get an adjustable parameter or slider implemented to modify this?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 02:13:45 pm »

See 5 posts above :)

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 02:18:27 pm »

See 5 posts above :)

Ya' I was just wondering really about a timeline, as I can easily imagine an Outerra doubter pointing to the pop-up and yelling that this proves the unsuitability of Outerra for a flight sim.

Flight simmers can be a very volatile community!

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 04:32:02 pm »

Volatile?  Moi?  Certainly very, very picky!!  ;)

bomber

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 03:33:43 pm »

Although its a hi-jack....

I'd like to say on the topic of picky.... That combat flight sim folk are at the pointy end of pickiness and have the developers considered a dedicated developer for this genre.... Maybe funded by announcing the post and using revenue generated by increased engine sales... Almost like an unofficial start-up investment thingy.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell