Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Terrain Deformation  (Read 3592 times)

bomber

Terrain Deformation
« on: August 24, 2014, 12:21:22 pm »

In the past I've had to place object into a terrain and this has required some extensive terrain deformation, for dams and especially coastal areas..

I was wondering if I could suggest a method for doing this ?

My suggestion would be the use of a series of colour maps, each map being applied between defined co-ords (lat, lon), Each colour on the map being a predefined deformation value of the current ground level either positive or negative.

Along with this colour map I'd want to use a greyscale map to define the level of smoothing between colours such that I could define near 90 degree deformation for trenches to rolling smooth deformation around coastal harbour sea walls.

The only bit in my mind I'm short on is defining custom textures to these deformations..

Anyway it's just an idea.

Regards

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

necro

• google+ Blog
Re: Terrain Deformation
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:03:20 pm »

In Outerra the terrain is the sum several layers which include terrain height data. On the lowest layer there is the base data (like the original earth). Then you can add the civilization layer which includes buildings, roads etc. So outerra is abled to handle each imaginable terrain deformation because one can deform the vertexarrays to add vectorized data like roads, craters and so on at several layers. So what you've been asking for are just extended tools for applying new deformations. I'm sure tools are planned but lack of time is no good friend for finishing new tools.

As i know there will be several tools later. And defining textures is good, but parameterizing is a lot better. So there is no restriction in that.

bomber

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 03:31:42 pm »

Can I deform by hand now ?
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 03:40:36 pm »

No, not in this mention. You can just deform it by placing static objects, roads, runways and craters. No (ou)terra-forming yet.