Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Factory  (Read 5618 times)

M7

Factory
« on: September 03, 2014, 04:16:06 pm »

This is a first attempt to make a low poly building with high resolution texture. I took some photos of an old brick factory and just pasted it on a block using sketchup. It's quite easy to position a texture on a low poly model in sketchup, no need to uv unwrap. 

Here I just placed 2 factory block next to each other, so it could be easy to make a gigantic shop. I still have to add doors and create some roughness map before to share it. I could as well make an LOD with more geometry details, not sure....

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 04:51:00 pm by M7 »

Revolver

• Adlerhorst-Hangar Design Group ©
Re: Factory
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 04:49:30 pm »

Looks good, but you can put in quietly a little more Polys and make the windows transparent...  :)
"Es gibt nur eine Sünde, die gegen die ganze Menschheit mit allen ihren Geschlechtern begangen
werden kann, und dies ist die Verfälschung der Geschichte."(F.Hebbel)

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 05:25:04 pm »

Nice!
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 12:20:36 am »

Having this like the far 3 LODs and adding one whyte nice details would be neat ... doe, it is really nice already whyte the texture work !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

M7

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 12:31:32 am »

I'm gonna try 2 LOD. It's not going to be that much more detailed so it wont help performance much, but It's just to try. As for the windows, if i make them transparent, all we'll see is an empty building through the windows so i'm not sure if it would improve the visual...  :-\

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 01:46:04 am »

I'm gonna try 2 LOD. It's not going to be that much more detailed so it wont help performance much, but It's just to try. As for the windows, if i make them transparent, all we'll see is an empty building through the windows so i'm not sure if it would improve the visual...  :-\

... not sure in this, but maybe an environment map "mimicking interior" ... have seen that on some games. But, im still think that glass reflection could be enough - but if its your model, you can put the 3DMax/blender file and maybe someone picks on the interiors too ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

zombie00

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 08:45:08 am »

... not sure in this, but maybe an environment map "mimicking interior" ... have seen that on some games. But, im still think that glass reflection could be enough - but if its your model, you can put the 3DMax/blender file and maybe someone picks on the interiors too ...

Yes, pretty much something something ala EDF2025. Couldn't find a good picture, but this video shows the details on the buildings:

[Watch @ 3:18, 4:01, 4:29]

Basically what you described, a small simple interior textured behind the glass.

M7

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:26:38 am »

That make much sense. My first idea was to make very basic geometry but with high res texture so they could look good both from the air and on the ground. Making transparent windows involve separate mesh for these and making basic interiors. Ok will try something in that direction.

zombie00

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 11:07:12 am »

That make much sense. My first idea was to make very basic geometry but with high res texture so they could look good both from the air and on the ground. Making transparent windows involve separate mesh for these and making basic interiors. Ok will try something in that direction.

I forgot to say, those look really cool already. I'm not much into flight simulators, but your model would work nicely for LOD in any kind of game (war sim/FPS in general, which is what I fancy).
Keep up the good work!