Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: (Release) 2013 Jeep Wrangler  (Read 7835 times)

theshanergy

(Release) 2013 Jeep Wrangler
« on: November 15, 2014, 03:42:16 pm »

Some of you may have already had a sneak peek at this on outerramods.com but I just updated it and thought I would post here as well.

This is my most detailed vehicle so far, and my new personal favorite. Based on a model I found on the 3d warehouse, I've modified this truck to my liking. Custom components include exo, hardtop, fogs, bumper, wheels, etc.

Feature-wise it has moving suspension components (no springs yet), functional gauges, working transfer case, and full interior. I have a number of improvements in mind which I'll probably be adding as well.

Pics:

Additional pics and OTX download: http://www.outerramods.com/mods/2013-jeep-wrangler

:)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: (Release) 2013 Jeep Wrangler
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 03:56:22 pm »

Gangsta tires.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

pedropp222

• 255.82 hours played since August 17, 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 07:10:09 pm »

wow, i have a screenshot at almost the exact same place as yours :)

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 10:58:24 pm »

Cool! Thank you very much!
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 01:47:26 am »

Theshanergy, i looked a little at your script for the suspension and there is a little tweeking needed :

Code: [Select]
  // shocks
  var FaxleHeight = ( ( wheel_FL_height + wheel_FR_height ) / 2 );

// ( 0.19 - ( FaxleHeight * 0.9 ) ) - correction for axle height, witch is separate

// ( Math.atan( ( wheel_FL_height / -1 ) + 0.18 ) * 0.48 ) - for suspending a single wheel - axle rotation around forward/backward axis

var shock_FL_spring_height = ( ( Math.atan( ( wheel_FL_height / -1 ) + 0.18 ) * 0.48 ) + ( 0.19 - ( FaxleHeight * 0.9 ) ) );
  this.geom.move_joint_orig(this.shock_FL_bottom, {z:shock_FL_spring_height});

var shock_FR_spring_height = ( ( Math.atan( ( wheel_FR_height / -1 ) + 0.18 ) * 0.48 ) + ( 0.19 - ( FaxleHeight * 0.9 ) ) );
  this.geom.move_joint_orig(this.shock_FR_bottom, {z:shock_FR_spring_height});

var shock_RL_spring_height = ( 0.1 + ( wheel_RL_height * -0.6 ) );
  this.geom.move_joint_orig(this.shock_RL_bottom, {z:shock_RL_spring_height});

var shock_RR_spring_height = ( 0.1 + ( wheel_RR_height * -0.6 ) );
  this.geom.move_joint_orig(this.shock_RR_bottom, {z:shock_RR_spring_height});

The suspension on the front ones where good, only, you need to add the axle up and down movement too, to have a perfect fit of the shocks tips on them.

Thre rear ones had a little something missing ( a minus ? - you probably forgot, that the pivot point/origin orientation was the same as on the front axle, but rotates in the other direction ) ... aether way, i played with it and there ya go - paste the whole section on the script for the old one and make a repack - these fit like gloves.

P.S. - best when making animations like these, is to first compensate the axle height and when it looks like it fits, then add and tweak the shocks/springs (mind that you have tweak the constants for both after the addition). But dont worry, it took me just 8 min. to set them both right like this, so you can do it purely empirically, by try and error constants changing.

Also, maybe adding another animations rotation for the front shocks could be added too - the rotation around the left/right axis (normally the X axis, if Y faces front), so that when the axle goes too low, the shocks fit the thing even when looking from the side perfectly (best to use both the height and tilt parts that there are, but in some * 0.12 -- * 0.07  or so intensity) .. something like this added (doe, it already sits nice, so it musnt be there) :

Code: [Select]

var shock_FR_spring_tilt = ( ( ( Math.atan( ( wheel_FR_height / -1 ) + 0.18 ) * 0.48 ) + ( 0.19 - ( FaxleHeight * 0.9 ) ) ) * 0.12 );
  this.geom.move_rotate_orig(this.shock_FR_top, shock_FR_spring_tilt, {x:0,y:1,z:0}));

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 02:45:05 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

PytonPago

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 02:44:34 am »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 02:47:07 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

theshanergy

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 12:14:53 pm »

^^ Thanks PytonPago, that is much better! The math is definitely my pain point. I'm still not entirely happy with the axle movement as well. Currently I'm moving the axles up and down, rotating them side to side, but I'm also rotating them along the axis where the control arms attach to the body. I wish I could remove the up and down movement entirely, and rely only on the control arm rotation. This would be more accurate to real life imo. The problem is, the wheels don't move up and down following a proper arc, they just move directly vertical. I think what needs to be done is change the wheels to a wheel_swing, pivoting around the control arm mounts. I'm just not sure how the nesting for something like that is supposed to work. That also doesn't cover the rotation of each wheel side to side to follow the alignment of the axle, though that's a whole different issue. I wish there were a way to just nest both wheels within an axle and tell the engine it's a solid axle rather than having to calculate everything.. Maybe one day! :)

theshanergy

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 12:17:09 pm »

wow, i have a screenshot at almost the exact same place as yours :)

This is right near one of the default locations I think.. Himalayan airport

PytonPago

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 12:42:30 pm »

^^ Thanks PytonPago, that is much better! The math is definitely my pain point. I'm still not entirely happy with the axle movement as well. Currently I'm moving the axles up and down, rotating them side to side, but I'm also rotating them along the axis where the control arms attach to the body. I wish I could remove the up and down movement entirely, and rely only on the control arm rotation. This would be more accurate to real life imo. The problem is, the wheels don't move up and down following a proper arc, they just move directly vertical. I think what needs to be done is change the wheels to a wheel_swing, pivoting around the control arm mounts. I'm just not sure how the nesting for something like that is supposed to work. That also doesn't cover the rotation of each wheel side to side to follow the alignment of the axle, though that's a whole different issue. I wish there were a way to just nest both wheels within an axle and tell the engine it's a solid axle rather than having to calculate everything.. Maybe one day! :)

... well, there is a way. I used a totally empty mesh for the wheels (the ones you define in script as : "this.add_wheel('Wheel_FrontR', whlpfr);" ). Parented to the axles then are modeled wheels, that are just rotated after the script wheel rotation. You must mind that the wheels after a custom animation shouldn't move forward-backwards more than 250-300 mm. Otherwise, you would see, the modeled wheels not really touching the ground properly at the max/min position, as the real one (the script one) is then further forward/backward.   --- its true, there could be a more user friendly way, but when ya think the project well enough trough, the javascript has a nice set.