Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: AeroKinetics Mod  (Read 133132 times)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: AeroKinetics Mod
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 12:17:56 am »

Hey ! Is that the little rocket fired several hours ago ? I watched the module ascend to the sea.  ;D
Do they use the good old known Shuttle platform to move the rocket into place ?

Also, could i peak on that rocket shock model ? Id like to use something like that on my 9M28 rockets when OTs ready for such.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 04:23:25 am »

You seem to know perfectly what you are doing and your UI mockup looks really good :)

I hope you'll be able to make it in Outerra, maybe with the help of Cameni and Angrypig (they seem to be drowning under projects, but this may be interresting for them)  ;D

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 09:32:52 am »

why wasting time with creating models? Let me create them and you develop the logic stuff. May i introduce to you the liquid h2-storage?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:35:10 am by necro »

PytonPago

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 11:03:40 am »

I think he wants some model parameters match the physics ... but your model is great. Exept, why so many lamps around each ot them ? :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 11:22:48 am »

Acetone, thank you, I appreciate the enthusiasm! I've seen your work with the scenery mods, Talkeetna AK is superb! Do you have any knowledge on modifying the local elevation of the terrain around a static object? (see more at the bottom of this post)

Pyton, you must be talking about Orion's inaugural launch yesterday atop a ULA Delta IV Heavy from SLC-37. The Delta IV Heavy is the third biggest launch system to date, next to the Shuttle, with the Saturn V taking first, and soon the Space Launch System (SLS) will take the crown once it is launched, and it is designed to take Orion far beyond LEO, to Mars.

necro, NICE WORK! I like your attention to detail!!!

Would you like to collaborate on modeling the first Launch Complex?! Given that SLC-37 is extremely detailed and complicated, we could go with something more modest for starts, such as Space Launch Complex 41. It is used for launching the Atlas V primarily, but the launch pad is big enough for larger vehicles. The Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB off in the distance), is in alignment with the track from the VAB to the pad. You can Google it for more detailed images.

All of the static objects around the launch complex can be individual objects, even placed by hand, or by coordinates, and we can use the Outerra roads obviously. The Launch Pad and Crawlway ramp (track) must be one model, and I have come to the conclusion that the only good way to create the raised grass berm around the launch pad is proceedurally by modifying the Outerra terrain, much like the roads. I need to displace negative and positive height, because the flame trench actually goes underground, and I plan on having volumetric smoke and flame generators inside the flame trench which is activated at launch. A lot of these details can come later, as they are not functionally important, but important nonetheless.

Does anyone know how to make a static object modify the terrain? I haven't had time to look into the road building system yet to see how its done. Can a heightmap be used and the displacement range defined, i.e. -10 meters (black), 0 meters (grey) to +10 meters (white).

Regards,
Uriah George
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:25:19 am by Uriah509 »

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 12:29:41 pm »

Lightning Tower

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 01:32:58 pm »

Sure we can collaborate. Simply post some pics of what especially you need. And mark the part you mean, i need exact instructions. Otherwise i could build the wrong one ;) I also dont want to create buildings which you have already. So you dont have the VAB?

Lol, I also started the lightning tower but yours is further and more detailed.

I know that you can press the "Level selected" button in the object spawn menu (after placing the object on the ground). There are some sliders. Surely you will be happy with them.

@pyton: The lamps are taken from the source picture. There this many ^^ And I'm not even sure if that are lamps. Or maybe water splashes.
And the detail is not very high. Outerra creates the self ambient occlusion which creates the illusion of detail. 7k triangles are many, thats true, but the most of them are creating the spheric silhouette.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:02:55 pm by necro »

PytonPago

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 02:03:16 pm »

Yes, the ULA, seems it was going good ... also, now Saturn V was mentioned, soviets did they N1 moon-landing rocket, witch ended bad. But give birth to the closed-cycle engine NK-33 (if someone wonders, its offspring was questioned by a recent rocked-blast). Saturn has H2 vs O2 fuel, i thought it was for the N1 too, but strangely, they had KEROSENE vs O2. Is it normal to other rockets ?

Also i wondered, why they left the stage-intersections open (can imagine some turbulations are a thing there at those speeds and lift power).

PytonPago

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 02:08:46 pm »

@pyton: The lamps are taken from the source picture. There this many ^^ And I'm not even sure if that are lamps. Or maybe water splashes.

Oh right - temperature control water dispensers - forgot on that !

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 03:50:57 pm »

Acetone, thank you, I appreciate the enthusiasm! I've seen your work with the scenery mods, Talkeetna AK is superb! Do you have any knowledge on modifying the local elevation of the terrain around a static object? (see more at the bottom of this post)

It's a bit tricky for the moment, and really depends of the scale of what you want to do.
When you level the terrain under an object, the engine create in fact a road wich can be modified using the road tool. You can manualy modify the elevation of each node, but you are limited to a 2 meters range by the GUI. The trick is to modify the elevation of the road, save, exit the road tool, open it again and reselect. You will be able to increase or decrease the elevation of this layer for 2 meters once again, etc., etc.

There is no other tool ATM, and no heightmap support yet.

Roads are limited to 204 meters, but you can extand the road area of effect with the transitional value (around 180 meters). You can also use the lead-in and the lead-out profile for the first and the last node of road in order to make them blend nicely with the terrain :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 03:53:05 pm by Acetone »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 12:19:50 am »

More Sweet future stuff! Need some more H2 storage tanks!

Also you need to turn on Anti-Aliasing for your screenshots.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 11:34:27 am »

necro, there is honestly a ton of modeling to do. I am primarily focused on getting the rocket working in-game. If you would like to work on a detailed launch pad model, either from Space Launch Complex 37, 39A or 39B or 39, images are available on Google if you search SLC-37, SLC-41, KSP LC-39A, etc... Besides the launch pad, each has a flame trench with mobile Flame Deflector, Fixed Umbilical Tower (FUT), sometimes a Mobile Service Tower (Delta IV SLC-37), as well as the crawler ramp, launch platform, and fuel towers. Those are the primary elements of a launch pad that I can think of off the top of my head, and those will need to be contained in one model, with some animated parts (FUT), which I can do later. If you go to Google Maps, find the Launch Complex you want to model, zoom as close a possible and take a screenshot, I like to apply it as a texture to a flat plane and build my model from that orthographic projection. It really helps to get the dimensions to scale and keep everything proportionate. Also a fuel tower, as at Kennedy Space Center Launch Complex 39A and 39B. Those facilities were purpose built for the Saturn V and Space Shuttle. I can upload images and give you a link, as not to flood the thread with reference images.

Acetone, thank you for those landscaping tips, that helps a lot. I am convinced an object can directly modify the ground, I just need to figure out how it is done. Lead-in, lead-out is good to know about for roads,

PytonPago, Kerosene is a very good rocket fuel when burned with Liquid Oxygen (LOX) it is up there with Hydrogen + LOX. Although uncommon, like Liquid Methane, but very efficient and powerful. Usually used on upper stages for special applications, however it could be used for a main first stage engine as well. Elon Musk is a big proponent of Liquid Methane, for other reasons.

I contacted Jon Berndt, of JSBSim, and he told me where to find a fully functional rocket, buried in among all the aircraft files. It is located under aircraft/J246, and engines/RL10, SRB and SSME. The Jupiter 246 (aka ARES 4) is a launch vehicle derived from re-purposed Space Shuttle components, including the Solid Rocket Boosters, External Tank, and Space Shuttle Main Engines (SSME). The second stage uses six RL-10B-2 engines and includes a small third stage thruster behind the Orion Crew Module (inside the fairing) and Launch Abort System.

So without hesitation, I threw together a model using parts from the free NASA Space Shuttle 3d models, and waa-laa! No, it wasn't that easy actually, but I'm making progress! Really need to talk to Levi, with his experience on the Airbus files.

ZeosPentera, Anti-Aliasing 8x!!! ;)

Best regards,
Uriah George

PytonPago

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 12:00:41 pm »

That will be a good fly !

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 12:06:53 pm »

Did you apply normal maps or is this true detail?

And which kind of tank is this dude here?

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 12:17:59 pm »

Without normal map at the moment, I made norms with the Nvidia tools, but I am not as concerned with textures until I am off the ground.

I believe that is a Liquid Oxygen fuel tower.

Did you pull the VAB off the NASA website?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12