Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: [Released] Alps scenery  (Read 104899 times)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
[Released] Alps scenery
« on: October 25, 2014, 10:43:35 am »

Alps Scenery: v.4 - Direct download - Full package (178 mb)

Alps Scenery: v.4 - Direct download - Update package from v.3(3 mb)

The package includes objects created by Levi, KW71, newS and Planets.

I've started to work on this before the Alaska scenes, but at the time I wasn't as efficient and as mad than I am today (and a part of it was done even before the map overlay update, and was quite inaccurate. So I've deleted recently all my work on this region to remake it with a higher level of quality.

This scene will cover an area located in the south of France, at the edge of the Alps. It will include two airports (LFNA-LFMX) and some local airfields. Even if it's not an urban area, there is more human presence than in the Talkeetna region (so more work for me  ;D). This location is well known among the gliding, parascending and skydiving crowd in Europe.

The region is fairly nice, with a great variety of landscapes and biomes.

Screenshots:

v1:
  • LFNA airfield (complete)
  • Tallard village (complete)
  • Several villages in the surroundings
  • Serre-Ponçon Lake (water mesh only appears at close distance of the location)
  • Early version of the city of Gap
  • Roads, roads everywhere ;)

v3:
  • Fixed several spikes in the area. As a result, some roads are missing.

v4:
  • Missing roads rebuilt
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 04:15:06 pm by Acetone »

HiFlyer

Re: [WIP] LFNA-LFMX scenery
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 12:52:02 pm »

Cool!  ;D

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

aWac9

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 06:35:16 pm »

great.  are lucky the French  :)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:49:50 am by aWac9 »

tknudsen

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 04:28:05 pm »

Looks awesomely

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 10:39:07 am »

Some new roads (majority not on screen) but progress is sloooooooow. I need to find more time and motivation for this or it will take years to start looking good!

HiFlyer

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 11:24:36 am »

Hey, after seeing Your Talkeena stuff I gave up my own efforts, simply knowing that I'm not nearly patient enough to replicate that sort of thing with the current tools.

Now, when the streets finally auto merge, and there is a wide-scale flatten tool........

That will be a different story!!
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 09:52:42 am »

And a comparison shot :

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 11:17:25 am »

One of the things about traditional Flight sims, or other places that try to replicate the real world, is that there are really no databases complete enough to let you do such things automatically. It always comes down to painstaking modification by hand in the end, and no developer has the time or money to do that except in very limited areas.

I think that with Outerra, and the ease of placing objects, roads, paths and probably even waterways, eventually, it may finally come within reach that individuals can easily edit their own cities, towns and neighborhoods; alone or even better, cooperatively around the world. Imagine the possibilities.

If I were Google, I might even be keeping an eye out on Outerras progress. For a number of reasons.

In the meantime, I can barely wait to see OSM in Outerra.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 11:42:16 am »

One of the things about traditional Flight sims, or other places that try to replicate the real world, is that there are really no databases complete enough to let you do such things automatically. It always comes down to painstaking modification by hand in the end, and no developer has the time or money to do that except in very limited areas.

I think that with Outerra, and the ease of placing objects, roads, paths and probably even waterways, eventually, it may finally come within reach that individuals can easily edit their own cities, towns and neighborhoods; alone or even better, cooperatively around the world. Imagine the possibilities.

If I were Google, I might even be keeping an eye out on Outerras progress. For a number of reasons.

In the meantime, I can barely wait to see OSM in Outerra.

Yep, autogen may be nice to fill the space, but it generally flatten details. Handcrafting may be slow, but it's the only way to make places look unique.
(yet, I will be really happy if they find a way to import the OSM database at some point :) )

HiFlyer

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 12:03:59 pm »

Yup. let the big, broad outlines be done automatically, then people can fill in the unique details.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 02:54:20 pm »

HiFlyer

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 07:13:29 pm »

Da' Roadmaster............  ;D

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 04:20:54 am »

A small gliders airstrip near LFNA. I like this location :)

adler58

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 07:32:16 pm »

Your work is fantastic, please keep up!
I'm also dreaming when rivers and roads and buildings could be derived from OSM data,
but for now your great work traces a leading line

Those airstrips among trees are pure flight-poetry :)
Flight history and simulation fan

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 08:02:00 pm »

Outstanding! Very natural feel to everything you do.

I've found the consistency of roads needs to match their purpose. For example a highway should be more even with wider turns, while a dirt road should be more uneven in width, follow the terrain more closely, (less transition/border) maybe with pull-off areas, as you might expect, and abandoned roads even disappearing in places.

It is amazing the level of detail and precision the OT road system is capable of.

Again, great job Acetone! You should someday record a compilation of videos demonstrating your techniques so beginners have a solid tutorial to start with. It does take time to master these tools and the more people there are producing content the better.

I have a feeling the future of Outerra will be a mix of procedurally generated OSM roads and cities, with detail added by hundreds of users, and different multiplayer servers hosting different scenery.

Edit: Couldn't you also import OSM roads and edit them by hand to add a level of realism. Collaborative multiplayer editing of the OSM data would be the only way to cover vast areas, unless OT advances their procedural civilization scheme considerably, which I can see very possibly happening! :-)

Regards,
Uriah
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:47:13 am by Uriah509 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12