Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Is Outerra free for non commercial projects?  (Read 4069 times)

NAIMA

• N A I M A
Is Outerra free for non commercial projects?
« on: February 13, 2015, 07:30:46 am »

Hello, I love making worlds and maps , I created several maps , in 2d and 3d and I know how to use different tools like terrain generators, modifiers and so on ...  I modded lot of games and created lots of free content for those .

I was wondering if this Planet engine is available freely to use for modding and implementing your own planetary surface heightmaps, textures, models, vegetation and so on , to use it to create sort of maps and quality images or videos  and eventually even use it for a portfolio .

Or do you nee dto buy the engine to be able to use it ?

If the first is true , is the Demo usable in full for that sort of work ?

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Is Outerra free for non commercial projects?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 07:36:45 am »

Hello, I love making worlds and maps , I created several maps , in 2d and 3d and I know how to use different tools like terrain generators, modifiers and so on ...  I modded lot of games and created lots of free content for those .

I was wondering if this Planet engine is available freely to use for modding and implementing your own planetary surface heightmaps, textures, models, vegetation and so on , to use it to create sort of maps and quality images or videos  and eventually even use it for a portfolio .

Or do you nee dto buy the engine to be able to use it ?

If the first is true , is the Demo usable in full for that sort of work ?

The Middle-Earth project is kinda the same ... http://www.me-dem.me.uk/   ... you can contact them also for their experience on the terrain creation.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 07:39:09 am »

See this reddit thread about making new planets for OT.

To build and use vehicles you need the full version, to explore the world the demo is ok. You can't create new OT planets by yourself, as the process is complicated and the tools aren't publicly available. For people capable to provide sufficiently detailed data for a new planet, we are gladly willing to have it compiled into a new dataset that can be used freely. However, as described above, it's quite hard.

You can of course use OT for non-commercial work, importing your models and doing modifications and present the resulting videos etc.

NAIMA

• N A I M A
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 08:47:39 am »

See this reddit thread about making new planets for OT.

To build and use vehicles you need the full version, to explore the world the demo is ok. You can't create new OT planets by yourself, as the process is complicated and the tools aren't publicly available. For people capable to provide sufficiently detailed data for a new planet, we are gladly willing to have it compiled into a new dataset that can be used freely. However, as described above, it's quite hard.

You can of course use OT for non-commercial work, importing your models and doing modifications and present the resulting videos etc.

Checked the thread and I read 400,750 x 200,375  , obviously this image size woudl kill any pc that I know of but woudl be necessarly split into other subimages to recompose after ....
I know how tomake this stuff in all formats, but indeed having a huge map even if splitted to that level of detail is indeed a lot of work , there are no procedural tools to help I guess, as it usually need a human input to make those look better more realistic like river erosion etc ... Still it coul dbe interesting to have in Outerra procedural tools to generate planets even if not realistically "eroded" and "terraformed" ...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:57:29 am by NAIMA »