Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: LOD considerations  (Read 4826 times)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
LOD considerations
« on: December 17, 2013, 12:47:20 pm »

I have to ask about LODs - do i have to consider some things specifically for other LOD levels in vehicles ? Or just do the wanted script parts along the others just bound to the meshes i need to move/rotate and so, whyle OT handles just appearance and disappearance of  meshes of certain LOD level due to distance regardless of any scripting going on? Also, does OT actually run the scripts of the hidden LOD mesh parts not rendering it, or just ignores the scripts bound to the hidden meshes ? ... want to try make other LODs for my vehicle and been thinking a little before trying things as the second LOD should still have some wheel-action going on (so if the other LOD wheels wont interfere whyte the vehicle physics at the present one and stuff like that).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:49:03 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: LOD considerations
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 03:48:25 pm »

I see there's some confusion. There are no "scripts bound to meshes". Scripts run on the whole object, and you can manipulate the object's bones via the scripts, and show/hide meshes. Meshes attached to those bones are then animated accordingly.

Rendering is separate - the fact you can move the bones in the script is unrelated to whether the meshes are rendered. If the mesh is not explicitly hidden, and if it's not rejected as not being the current LOD or that it is below the visibility threshold, then it is rendered according to the current bone hierarchy it's attached to.

LODs of the same mesh should be attached to the same bone hierarchy, but perhaps Angrypig will have to clarify how it exactly works.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 04:15:15 pm »

I see there's some confusion. There are no "scripts bound to meshes". Scripts run on the whole object, and you can manipulate the object's bones via the scripts, and show/hide meshes. Meshes attached to those bones are then animated accordingly.

... hmm ... then it seems i must define those lower LOD wheels only whyte rotation according to actual wheel-RPM of the main LODs wheels witch meshes are defined in the "add_wheel" script and its height.  ??? (wanted to add them as separate wheels - thought it would disable them when switching to other LOD)

...      thanks there !
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:19:54 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 01:32:09 pm »

Hi, another question about it. I apology if this have been already answered, but I'm completely neophyte on this.

1.- Are LOD distances settings handled:

- General for all objects?
- By category (let's say trees can have different settings than the vehicles, for example)?
- Per object?

2.- Can an object show different lods at the same time? Let's say I set a very short distance for the first LOD (2 mts), the nearest wheels of a truck are showed whit more detail than the farest.

3.- Does the engine have to process al the elements of a vehicle, whether they are on the screen or not? For example, if a wheel is out of the screen, being part of the vehicle, is still being rendered / processed?

I appreciate any guidance.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:14:17 pm by KW71 »
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".