Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: multiplayer game on cloud?  (Read 8177 times)

M7

multiplayer game on cloud?
« on: March 08, 2015, 10:41:05 am »

I ran into this video while checking some GDC 2015 on youtube. I never thought that cloud gaming would go that far. The possibilities are scary, with the kind of  rendering super computer can achieve, imagine the physics, the ai and as they show in the video,  the number of them. And if i get this right , you would just need a smart TV with some sort of input and the game itself would run as some kind of a highly interactive streaming video?

I dont know it seems to me like a possible revolution.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: multiplayer game on cloud?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 12:04:03 pm »

Sharing the calculations between users ? ....
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

M7

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 12:37:17 pm »

from what i understand some central super computer will draw/calculate everything and simply send a steaming image to potentially hundred of users and who knows...maybe thousands. its kind of like a return to mainframe architecture with terminals.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:10:36 pm by M7 »

M7

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:23:31 pm »

Sharing the calculations between users ? ....

Just heard in this other video that yes there would be share calculation. Not sure what it means exactly.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:15:45 pm »

It means more bandwidth and higher ping.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

M7

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 11:52:45 pm »

More bandwidth for sure but it could be like watching a streaming 1080p video. If your connection can view such video without delay, then in theory it should be feasable .

Im pretty sure it will open the door for new kind of games or vr type of experience.

PytonPago

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 02:55:13 am »

So, you send intput data (movement, etc.) to the serwer, witch is actually the machine running that game and its sends ya an personalized video-angle of the there rendered happenings. Well, they surely can use a ton of tech (i just use an in-mind image of those weather super-PCs), on a server-based architecture. Ture is, only intput data from controllers/keyboard-mouse goes then to the server, but a video-stream coming back the other way ...

... may not be bad if it handles a LOT of players on the server and stream has a good connection to the users. But i kinda cant imagine Modding or any personalization outside the "Server-box". Also, they need than another machine like that just for developers to try n test new content/games (if some lightweight PC version software for this purpose doesnt come out for them).  .... i guess, Japan (or online game types like WoW) odesnt mind that much doe.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 04:02:30 am »

I just imagine dozens of players with wildly different upload/download speeds and I start to get a headache.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 04:51:04 am »

Isn't this somehow similar to OnLive?

M7

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 09:35:48 am »

Yeah looks like a similar idea but onlive games looks like actual games. What i find interesting with this new type of cloud gaming, is the stuff that you cant do on a single computer like having 16000 ai or physics fluid animation, full weather simulation in perfect sync with all users... . And that is just the beginning. At some point you might be able to play in the avatar environnement within the movie 3d world. The only limits will be what these super computers can do. Maybe the matrix is coming for real  =D

Yeah the sad part is that these games will be impossible to mod.

PytonPago

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 11:19:09 am »

Yeah looks like a similar idea but onlive games looks like actual games. What i find interesting with this new type of cloud gaming, is the stuff that you cant do on a single computer like having 16000 ai or physics fluid animation, full weather simulation in perfect sync with all users... . And that is just the beginning. At some point you might be able to play in the avatar environnement within the movie 3d world. The only limits will be what these super computers can do. Maybe the matrix is coming for real  =D

Yeah the sad part is that these games will be impossible to mod.

... PC, or stream ? :D

... not a bad thing ... nowadays streams are just slightly moded normal PC/console games, so this would be actually a real server architecture capability exploiting designed game-breeder. with all the heawy physics and mass-computation home PCs cant work now. Indeed an interesting thing for "game-houses".   ... and the new type of Lagging ! :D ( Deep-space astronomers would be proud.  :)) Maybe some terminology comes up too ... )

... its true that a lot of people dont use moded content, so from their side, (especially for possible markets) may not play a role at all ... besides, keeping that thing alive would probably result in a CoD kinda economy thinking for that system - "product per year", "pay that shiny new stuff" ... ya know, such potential global weather computing equipement must eat electricity in gW´s and have a 24/7 user base.