Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Game/Addon Store  (Read 10407 times)

Spudly

Game/Addon Store
« on: May 10, 2011, 03:56:04 am »

Is there going to be some kind of Game or Addon Store integrated into the basic game?  I think it would be cool if there were servers that hosted different addons or full games, some of which might be required or not required.  The store might include:

-Addons that could be sold or be free(with option of donations)
    -The balance on their account between buying and selling would probably need to be charged/payed one time at the end of the month or something
       -Some % goes to Outerra(I think Google gets like 30% for android)
-Games might be a combination of required addons and additional unique content
    -This would include various ways of scripting addons together(game modes)
-Servers could require an additional monthly fee for MMO equipment requirements
    -maybe an option for monthly payments or time played on server
-Preferably an Outerra specific macro/code that is relatively easy to use which would encourage development

Required addons would be things that effected everyone like physics model, weather or setting mod(apocalypse, futuristic, medieval, etc.).  Any kind of addon could be required if the server chose to keep things balanced between people willing to pay and people not willing to pay.
Optional addons would be things you could purchase in game like houses, vehicles, weapons.  There could be further restrictions(by the game) on how these addons are implemented.  For example, the vehicles or objects might require certain resources to crafted.  Some servers might be loose in their requirements and have a more gmod type feel to it.  There could be server options to allow specific types of addons such as sound mods, vehicle mods, weapon(maybe with specific power requirements) or house mods.  I could probably go on for days so I'll stop here.

Some addons could be free(or open source) and games could be comprised of entirely free/open source addons and run on MMO servers run only on donation money.

Anyhow, do you guys have any plans for this type of game/market?

Jak_o_Shadows

• http://jak-o-shadows.users.sourceforge.net
Game/Addon Store
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 04:52:50 am »

I don't support this, however i support the idea of having a way (perhaps through a good API) that allows in-game shop to be allowed.
Do you know how hard it is to get a 51 frame gif under 10kb at a decent resolution?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Game/Addon Store
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:11:31 am »

That is my vision of Outerra. Steam with one world and multiple addon's to load. Some you pay for, some for free. All at once and forever.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Game/Addon Store
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 03:06:58 am »

Yep, something like the Zeos' vision, ultimately :)

There may be some legal problems if we just enabled syncing between players in the sandbox world, and someone uploaded an unlicensed model there, for example. But essentially, we want to make the mod syncing as easy as possible, to the level that if someone drives around in his custom car and you come to that world location, the game will replicate the model in advance so everybody can see it there.

But this is related to the sandbox game. For other commercial or free addons that come with game play and world modifications we'll create a separate realm. They won't be "addons", but games on the platform, will have their own rules etc. We just want to share a fair amount of stuff between them and the sandbox, like that a designed mode is essentially sandbox in a different realm, admission of devs and players (i.e. management of roles) is done by the real owner. So it can be like that a bunch of devs (= indie team) acquire a realm, start to mod the world, possibly using some stock apocalyptic setting as the basis and creating their game world, coding the game play. When it's ready they can open the realm and have people subscribing to the game, at a price specified by them. Something like that.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Game/Addon Store
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:55:21 pm »

Quote from: cameni
When it's ready they can open the realm and have people subscribing to the game, at a price specified by them. Something like that.

eeek, So you envision we all pay for the outerra engine base platform in a subscription, yearly way (presumably for constant engine updates and development) then mod makers could make us subscribe and pay them on a re-occurring basis (model and coding updates)

I always just saw the mods as a one time buy of ~$15-20 and a yearly for the OT engine of ~$40-50. Mods giving $2 each sale to you to host their files in the P2P cluster. CRC checks on models since everyone will have the models and you don't want it stolen and reused without some difficulties.

And of course the free mods would be extensive. Having them go through a review process before being allowed on the P2P cloud for easy downloading and model sharing. Not sure how you make the moneys off of them. I will think of something.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Game/Addon Store
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 01:38:12 pm »

No, once it becomes a platform our costs will be included in the subscriptions or sales of the games. We are not talking about letting people pay for the platform itself. That would be hard to sell as such anyway. The "platform" is primarily relevant for developers, we are looking how utilize it and to bring devs to it. And then there's this marketing opportunity to use it also as a store for all games that are based on it and can be tried/bought from a single interface. It's natural for game mods, but since on Outerra everything is basically a mod, it should become natural for everything :)

The only problem is that for free games running on the platform there are still some associated costs - bandwidth and processing time on the cloud service, and they must be accounted for. Though maybe having an existing subscription should do for all such games, or there could be some tiny operational fee.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Game/Addon Store
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 01:54:59 pm »

So like steam gives away its base client you give away the entire world empty and devoid of everything. Then it is up to the user to purchase the tools, mods and resources to make that world into a fun place complete with the stuff they really want. I like it. Everyone on earth could just download Outerra and run it as their screensaver. But if you want to fly that plane or drive that car or develop your own mods a small fee is required.