Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Joystick Issues and Suggestions  (Read 6422 times)

dbb

Joystick Issues and Suggestions
« on: November 01, 2015, 10:00:12 am »

So I have a Saitek X-55 HOTAS and Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. The primary issue that I'm having with Outerra is that only the upper half of the travel range of the throttle and toe brakes are recognized by Outtera. For example, 0-50% travel on the throttle equals 0% throttle in Outtera, then it's linear to 100% travel on the throttle equaling 100% in Outtera. The toe brake axes on the rudder pedals have a similar issue. I've attached a compressed copy of the eng.log file with the HID logging enabled.

Secondly, there doesn't seem to be a way to map look commands when in an aircraft? It seems the only way to control the camera orientation when in an aircraft is via the mouse? I'd like to map it to the POV hatswitch on my stick.

Finally, I've mapped trim commands to a hatswitch on my stick, but it seems to require repeated presses to advance the trim. I'd like to be able to hold down the trim button and have it continuously trim until the button is released.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Joystick Issues and Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 12:28:14 pm »

Can you attach your iomap/air.cfg file as well?

Look commands haven't been yet ported to the new key mapping system, it will be possible to map them to the hat once that's done.

dbb

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 12:35:09 pm »

Done. I should also note that for the throttle the direction has to be inverted to map correctly.

Look commands haven't been yet ported to the new key mapping system, it will be possible to map them to the hat once that's done.
Alright, cool.

josem75

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 03:10:08 pm »

For me this would be the major improvement for the flying experience.  Controling the view in the hat of the joystick (or in any configurable button in the joystick), and also for a ground drive experience as well.
For drive car is even more important, because when you are in the road going up and down, the camera angle is changing, so always in some point you loose totally the road vision.
This can be also maybe fixed with some camera trick, which make a smooth transition when u go up and down, but finally you get the propper angle for drive. For example if you begin to go up, the camera can correct position for make posible the visivility, and if go down the same.  (dont know if that would be posible but would be amazing).

Also another view during the flying. I dont know how to call it, but some simulators have it. For example i remember in the old Eurofighter2000 simulator, pressing a button you was able to view your plane flying from behind to the front and then automatically back in the original view you had. I will show in a video:
Here its posible to see lots of times. For example in 2:04.
With a button like that in Outerra, i would be pressing it all the times xD.  This mode magnificent the graphics of the engine.. So in Outerra case would be awesome for the flying experience with the outerra incredible terrain graphics...
Would be dificult to program something like that?

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 03:14:01 pm by josem75 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 05:42:38 am »

I've mapped trim commands to a hatswitch on my stick, but it seems to require repeated presses to advance the trim. I'd like to be able to hold down the trim button and have it continuously trim until the button is released.

This should be doable as long as you use +/- binding mode instead of ++/-- (inc/dec).

0-50% travel on the throttle equals 0% throttle in Outtera, then it's linear to 100% travel on the throttle equaling 100% in Outtera

This is a bug in current version, will be fixed in next patch.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 05:48:35 am »

For drive car is even more important, because when you are in the road going up and down, the camera angle is changing, so always in some point you loose totally the road vision.
This can be also maybe fixed with some camera trick, which make a smooth transition when u go up and down, but finally you get the propper angle for drive. For example if you begin to go up, the camera can correct position for make posible the visivility, and if go down the same.  (dont know if that would be posible but would be amazing).

In aircraft there are 3 third person modes, the latter two with camera following the plane horizontally, or vertically as well.

Also another view during the flying. I dont know how to call it, but some simulators have it. For example i remember in the old Eurofighter2000 simulator, pressing a button you was able to view your plane flying from behind to the front and then automatically back in the original view you had. I will show in a video:
Here its posible to see lots of times. For example in 2:04.
With a button like that in Outerra, i would be pressing it all the times xD.  This mode magnificent the graphics of the engine.. So in Outerra case would be awesome for the flying experience with the outerra incredible terrain graphics...
Would be dificult to program something like that?

A cinematic camera ... yes that would be a welcome addition. I believe this will need some time to get right, so I'd like to expose it to a script for people to toy with.

dbb

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 02:44:56 pm »

I've mapped trim commands to a hatswitch on my stick, but it seems to require repeated presses to advance the trim. I'd like to be able to hold down the trim button and have it continuously trim until the button is released.

This should be doable as long as you use +/- binding mode instead of ++/-- (inc/dec).

I knew I had tried this before but forgot why it didn't work; tried it again and when using +/- pressing the button causes trim to go to full +100 or full -100.

0-50% travel on the throttle equals 0% throttle in Outtera, then it's linear to 100% travel on the throttle equaling 100% in Outtera

This is a bug in current version, will be fixed in next patch.
Great, thanks!

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 08:05:02 pm »

"I knew I had tried this before but forgot why it didn't work; tried it again and when using +/- pressing the button causes trim to go to full +100 or full -100."

Same issue for me, whether is a cessna, mig or apache (current and in development).
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 03:44:46 am »

Ah yes, that's because the default trim handler (if aircraft scripts do not override it) has got ±∞ ramp there, instant full change :)
I'll fix that as well.