Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Broken and expired image links!!!  (Read 17325 times)

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
Broken and expired image links!!!
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:50:22 pm »

Hi everyone,

I've been skimming through a number of threads, some as recent as last month, and noticed that far too many image links are broken or expired. I'm obviously not saying we need to ask anyone to go back and fix these, there are far too many, but I would like to point out that it must be disappointing for newcomers to see so many threads with so many broken image links.

Upon further inspection, many of the links when opened directly have messages such as "URL signature expired", etc... and a majority of those are linked to content servers including Facebook.

I would just like to suggest that people currently using their social media accounts to post images, instead either attach images/screenshots directly by uploading to the Outerra server, or sign up for a free account with a stable image host, such as Imgur.com. I have been using Imgur reliably since joining the OT forum and it is very nice. There are also a number of others, but Imgur seems to be the best I've found for hot-linking images, where social media such as Facebook are not intended for that purpose.

Thanks, and best regards,
Uriah
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:59:40 pm by Uriah »

HiFlyer

Re: Broken and expired image links!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 12:41:08 am »

Hi everyone,

I've been skimming through a number of threads, some as recent as last month, and noticed that far too many image links are broken or expired. I'm obviously not saying we need to ask anyone to go back and fix these, there are far too many, but I would like to point out that it must be disappointing for newcomers to see so many threads with so many broken image links.

Upon further inspection, many of the links when opened directly have messages such as "URL signature expired", etc... and a majority of those are linked to content servers including Facebook.

I would just like to suggest that people currently using their social media accounts to post images, instead either attach images/screenshots directly by uploading to the Outerra server, or sign up for a free account with a stable image host, such as Imgur.com. I have been using Imgur reliably since joining the OT forum and it is very nice. There are also a number of others, but Imgur seems to be the best I've found for hot-linking images, where social media such as Facebook are not intended for that purpose.

Thanks, and best regards,
Uriah

Its interesting, because I was just thinking the same thing, and wondering which image storage sites people were using that were so unstable. I use(d) both Imageshack, and Photobucket, and pictures I posted years ago on other websites (I don't even use Imageshack anymore, and haven't for several years) are still up and running fine, so its always been slightly puzzling to me why so many pictures here are gone so quickly.

I hope people take this to heart!

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:48:02 am »

Yes, Imageshack and Photobucket are both great too!

Basically from what I understand social media sites like Facebook actively try to prevent people from outside from viewing their content.

I might make this thread sticky for a few months so people see it.

Regards,
Uriah
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:55:16 am by Uriah »

SteelRat

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:10:53 am »

instead either attach images/screenshots directly by uploading to the Outerra server

Translator
Allowed very limited size of image files.
So you have to use third-party storage, it is not very convenient.
Make a limit on the file size larger.

RU
Разрешён слишком ограниченный размер файлов изображений.
По этому приходится использовать сторонние хранилища, это очень не удобно.
Сделайте лимит на  размер файлов больше.

Художественные изображения вполне можно хранить на сторонних серверах.
Но часто выкладываются файлы скринов со специфической информацией, и их желательно хранить на сервере outerra, из за очень ограниченного лимита на размер, это почти всегда не возможно, приходится резать до не приемлемого, в плане восприятия, размера.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:17:41 am by SteelRat »

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 07:22:05 am »

Allowed very limited size of image files.
So you have to use third-party storage, it is not very convenient.
Make a limit on the file size larger.

It is true, the file size it limited for direct attachments, I'll see if anything can be done about that for JPEG format attachments.

Although, for convenience sake, it doesn't really matter because if they are uploading to Facebook, they can use Imgur, Imageshack or Photobucket just as easily.

Regards,
Uriah
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:26:40 am by Uriah »

HiFlyer

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 07:31:51 am »

This issue has bothered me for a while, to the point that if I want to repost a picture from here to some other site (like avsim) I will often copy the picture to my computer first, then transfer it to photobucket and post from there because I've learned over time that pictures here disappear regularly.

The exception is when I see pictures that have been here a long time and thus seem likely to remain stable.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:10:50 am by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

SteelRat

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 09:54:41 am »

It is true, the file size it limited for direct attachments, I'll see if anything can be done about that for JPEG format attachments.

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3360.msg39581#msg39581
format JPEG, 109Kb, limite 198Kb
Agree to what limit does not say anything!

Although, for convenience sake, it doesn't really matter because if they are uploading to Facebook, they can use Imgur, Imageshack or Photobucket just as easily.
I was in such places is not, and never will be)

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 10:04:42 am »

What I meant is that uploading to Imgur is just as easy as Facebook, so if they are using third party, just use one that works, that's all.

Regards,
Uriah

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 06:02:04 am »

What about Host Then Post? I'm using that as of lately because it's fast and doesn't need an account... I dunno how long it's gonna keep the images though.
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.