Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: What control of water?  (Read 15058 times)

Jak_o_Shadows

• http://jak-o-shadows.users.sourceforge.net
What control of water?
« on: May 23, 2011, 07:26:48 am »

What control of water are we going to have? I mean, it's fairly obvious that we're going to be able to place rivers, lower terrain up and down a bit, make lakes and the like, and maybe even canals, but what about dams, floodgates, locks (the river type that raises boats) and even toggleable moats (i can dream right?).

What about aquifers (bore water), springs, rapids and waterfalls? (Through i imagine that some of these wouldn't be too hard using the current method (vector data isn't it?, possibly similar in nature (but not use) to the road editor?)).

What about being able to have water coming down in a flood (even if it has to be along a pre-determined path) and effecting vehicles caught in the way?

So yeah, just some thoughts.

ps. I was bored when typing this.
Do you know how hard it is to get a 51 frame gif under 10kb at a decent resolution?

Tottel

What control of water?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:25:50 am »

For a while, I've been toying with the Esenthel engine.
How they (he) do it there, is make 2 types of water: Lake and river.

Lake is defined by a few vertices to form the outlines and is basically a plane of non-moving water.
River is defined by vertices connected by 1 line and are moving from point A to B to C to....

So with just these two, you can make everything you wish. :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
What control of water?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 03:05:45 pm »

Quote from: Jak_o_Shadows
What control of water are we going to have? I mean, it's fairly obvious that we're going to be able to place rivers, lower terrain up and down a bit, make lakes and the like, and maybe even canals, but what about dams, floodgates, locks (the river type that raises boats) and even toggleable moats (i can dream right?).
In the game? There will be probably no control of water there, rivers/lakes will come as imported from real Earth data, and it's not the usual activity you'd do in a game. Besides, it is more complex - running water modifies the terrain, and you cannot just place a river anywhere, without a process that would determine how the surrounding land would look like if there was a river flowing there.

Floods would require a simulation of flowing and accumulating water, might be interesting but probably not a priority.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
What control of water?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 04:55:42 pm »

Not to mention the fact that a LARGE majority of lakes and rivers worldwide are manmade constructs.  Here in Texas, we have a LOT of rivers and lakes, but out of all the lakes, only one is natural.  All others have been manmade (case in point, Lake Lewisville, in my hometown ... it wouldn't exist in a "natural" setting).

How Cameni and Angrypig is going to resolve that issue, I'm eagerly awaiting ;)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

corona

What control of water?
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 05:58:02 pm »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
Not to mention the fact that a LARGE majority of lakes and rivers worldwide are manmade constructs.

Uhm.....what are you talking about?
The majority of rivers and lakes certainly arent manmade. What gives you this idea?

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
What control of water?
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 11:37:56 pm »

A little over-exaggeration on my part, but a lot of them are man-made in that mankind has dug the ground, altered the landscape, built damns, etc, diverting natural flows and basins.  Turn back the clock as little as 50k years, and rivers and lakes will look vastly different than they are today

Texas is the prime example of this, and one of the biggest extremes.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
What control of water?
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 12:08:12 am »

Yeah you can pretty much just flood New Orleans again. No man made levy's in outerra.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

What control of water?
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 01:06:38 am »

Are you purposely trying to be a jackass?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
What control of water?
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 03:41:42 am »

No, that is a serious point. New Orleans is below sea level so it is most likely going to be under-water and probably is right now in OT.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Seth

What control of water?
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 12:29:15 pm »

Good point Zeos!

I guess that part of the world is lost to the sea :(
I know what it does, not how it does it.

corona

What control of water?
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 12:54:38 pm »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
A little over-exaggeration on my part, but a lot of them are man-made in that mankind has dug the ground, altered the landscape, built damns, etc, diverting natural flows and basins.  Turn back the clock as little as 50k years, and rivers and lakes will look vastly different than they are today

Texas is the prime example of this, and one of the biggest extremes.

Well, in the grand scheme of things this is almost nothing. Sure, in densely populated areas alot of rivers are given some "guidance". But if I had to guess I would say thats nowhere near even 1% of the total river (lenghts)/lakes worldwide.

Sometimes us humans seem to overestimate our importance ;-)

yhwhluver

What control of water?
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:14:23 pm »

Quote from: corona
Sometimes us humans seem to overestimate our importance ;-)

lol, completely agree.

Also, I don't think the LA river was as straight as it is now or lined with concrete.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
What control of water?
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 10:17:04 pm »

Makes you wonder how that sort of thing would be handled. Although even after a few hundred years the LA river and most man made tributaries will probably remain.

Jak_o_Shadows

• http://jak-o-shadows.users.sourceforge.net
What control of water?
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 03:04:31 am »

If we can place roads, we should at least be able to build canals and drains (see 34.04.34.45N 118.13.36.10W  (from grease)). I realise that could be (maybe) an actual river, however man made canals do occur (see 36.50.03.49 S 139.52.0.01 E)
Do you know how hard it is to get a 51 frame gif under 10kb at a decent resolution?

yhwhluver

What control of water?
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 11:50:34 am »

The concrete would deteriorate after a few hundred years.  Then you'd have the normal erosion of the river.  Of course, that would be in normal conditions and not LA since it's a desert and the river only flows periodically during the winter months.  Most of the time it's dry (Terminator 2 was filmed in part of the LA river system.  That's what it normally looks like).  It would take significantly longer there, unless there was a huge earthquake, I'd think.

As far as just canals, I would think that over time there would be significant erosion and would not look like a man-made canal for too long.  Think of all the dredging that goes on just to help with the erosion, even with natural rivers (the Mississippi is a good example).  Without man, even the natural rivers would change quite a bit.