Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Hyper realistic vehicles and virtual switch-flipping!  (Read 6695 times)

Varldsligist

• Long time x, first time y
Hyper realistic vehicles and virtual switch-flipping!
« on: March 27, 2016, 07:58:09 pm »

Please excuse the poor subject discription. I want to ask you, the developers aswell as the community if this concept is doable within a foreseeable future.

I'm wondering if this can be achieved in Outerra. In short: I'm not only looking to fly a plane just by pressing E. New technology on the horizon has brought us into another dimension and I see new posibilities for a more engaging flying/driving/sailing experience. Mundane tasks that are an absolut bore in real life aswell as in 2d suddenly become thrilling in virtual reality. I've had the pleasure of experiencing some of that using the Rift already and this is what I hope for the future.

Now imagine those virtual hands in a cockpit with working switches and buttons in order for the aircraft to start:

Using this or similar technology: https://youtu.be/Wpna2YvIkyA?t=109

I'm not expecting to be able to do this within the next couple of months, but is this something that eventually could be done in Outerra? If so, what are the major hurdles standing in our way and is this something that the community and developers want to see happen? (I.E the option of flipping virtual switches using your hands instead of pressing buttons on your keyboard).

The way I see it we already have access the three most important components of this concept:
  • Outerra
  • Oculus Rift (and competing headsets)
  • Leap motion/hand controls

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Hyper realistic vehicles and virtual switch-flipping!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 03:58:19 am »

Well ... switching of levers and stuff in cockpit is planned in ewery sense of a full-clic cockpit ... all the stuff has its own script-trigger and making sure you could trigger them by a special hand movement at the correct place shouldnt be a problem ... the question is, how the software gets the placement of the hands in the OTs coordinate system and how the gestures can be "translated" into script-commands. One could even have a special gesture for switches and buttons acordingly and wouldnt interact if you use the wrong one on a switch or button and special ones to grab the thrust lever and stick (but be still better to at least these two have in real and just controll the stic with a joystick and thrust white an real lever cause of simple reliability and reactio-time reasons ... hell, one could even do a script to simulate the trust lever hand motion if its placing doesnt fit the cockpits one to the cockpit-lever position and intensity-based movement axis compared to the real one you use on your controller) ... so yes, it is possible. Doe, the controll system is a 3-rd party thing (Cameni is focusing on an Engine not a new controller) and the full-click cockpit option has yet to be implemented in OT. But once both are done, i dont see anything standing in the way for it coming to reality just by spending some time at scripts ...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 04:01:04 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 03:25:49 pm »

Shouldn't be a problem if you have fully clickable cockpits, but we don't have that yet and the technology is still going to take quite some years untill it's something normal people have, even at a sim enthusiast level.

I just don't see the real great thing about it yet, it's like moving your hands in empty space without being able to feel the objects you touch.. for me a mouse is still just as good.  (for now)

Varldsligist

• Long time x, first time y
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 07:22:31 pm »

Well ... switching of levers and stuff in cockpit is planned in ewery sense of a full-clic cockpit ... all the stuff has its own script-trigger and making sure you could trigger them by a special hand movement at the correct place shouldnt be a problem ... the question is, how the software gets the placement of the hands in the OTs coordinate system and how the gestures can be "translated" into script-commands. One could even have a special gesture for switches and buttons acordingly and wouldnt interact if you use the wrong one on a switch or button and special ones to grab the thrust lever and stick (but be still better to at least these two have in real and just controll the stic with a joystick and thrust white an real lever cause of simple reliability and reactio-time reasons ... hell, one could even do a script to simulate the trust lever hand motion if its placing doesnt fit the cockpits one to the cockpit-lever position and intensity-based movement axis compared to the real one you use on your controller) ... so yes, it is possible. Doe, the controll system is a 3-rd party thing (Cameni is focusing on an Engine not a new controller) and the full-click cockpit option has yet to be implemented in OT. But once both are done, i dont see anything standing in the way for it coming to reality just by spending some time at scripts ...
Cool to hear that it is at least theoretically possible! Bold part: yeah, exactly my thought aswell. You have to make some sacrifices, I also rather prefer the airplane thrust and steering to be executed by a joystick for maximum control. But what intrigues me is being able to do all those switching stuff on/off that you see performed by pilotes during takeoff.

Shouldn't be a problem if you have fully clickable cockpits, but we don't have that yet and the technology is still going to take quite some years untill it's something normal people have, even at a sim enthusiast level.

I just don't see the real great thing about it yet, it's like moving your hands in empty space without being able to feel the objects you touch.. for me a mouse is still just as good.  (for now)
Yes, the stuff I linked are far from becoming mainstream, but I sincerly believe they will be... eventually. It think it's these sort of applications this new and exciting technology were made for. We are now no longer decades from complete immersion but years. :) I forgot to add that we may also have haptic feedback soon to simulate the sense of touch, very exciting!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 07:25:36 pm by Varldsligist »

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 07:37:03 pm »

Well, problem is that you need a good amount of people to acually get into it.. I expect that it will take a few versions until VR is is good and common, and maybe 5-10 years for this to be a common thing..

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 01:24:25 am »

Well, problem is that you need a good amount of people to acually get into it.. I expect that it will take a few versions until VR is is good and common, and maybe 5-10 years for this to be a common thing..

For people being kids till the grimm reaper takes us ... there is no waiting problem :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.