Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Concrete patches and other road details?  (Read 12588 times)

Köngen

Concrete patches and other road details?
« on: June 11, 2011, 07:25:36 am »

Something like this might have been suggested before.
I don't know how the road system works at this moment. From what I've seen in the video you can select road type and what type of lines you want. But I still think, maybe driving on a perfectly healthy piece of road would become a little bit monotone. So if it's possible, maybe somehow some information could be held that would roughen the roads up a little. Concrete patches, cracks, holes, bumps. Stuff that would shake the car a bit when you fly over. Just a thought :) It would make driving on these roads a pleasure. Obviously there are smooth roads but some optional settings could be useful. My opinion.

Any thoughts?

Jak_o_Shadows

• http://jak-o-shadows.users.sourceforge.net
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 07:54:22 am »

The way i drive, it would never get monotonous.

This would be somewhat dependent on the age of the road and the how heavy the usage of it is? Older + more use = lower quality?
Do you know how hard it is to get a 51 frame gif under 10kb at a decent resolution?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 10:07:30 am »

Yes, definitely needs a parameter that would control deterioration of road surface. Patches of concrete will be fractal driven, they could grow over time when not "maintained". Cracks forming from the sides, eventually with moss and other low vegetation seeping in. It would be nice to have a complete process of road disintegration.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:28:59 am »

We don't use concrete around here.   :)

What I want to know is what the heck Japan uses for their roads.  :|

... And kinda related to that... why don't we have snow removal tools like this around here.  :P
(Sorry, I can't find a pic of the actual machines anymore  :rolleyes: )
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Köngen

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 11:52:58 am »

Quote from: cameni
Yes, definitely needs a parameter that would control deterioration of road surface. Patches of concrete will be fractal driven, they could grow over time when not "maintained". Cracks forming from the sides, eventually with moss and other low vegetation seeping in. It would be nice to have a complete process of road disintegration.

That'd be really nice! These cracks should in my opinion also affect the physics. If a wheel of a street car is caught in some bad cracks then it should get shaky. When you drive over a patch maybe you can get a little nudge in the FF of the wheel controller. Maybe if there is vegetation on the edge of the road it could break the traction a little as well?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:06:33 pm »

At the moment physics for ground vehicles uses ~15cm resolution if I remember correctly.
You can see how it affects the vehicle in this .

Underlying terrain type will affect the physics model as well, probably with the same resolution as the height data.

Köngen

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 12:13:29 pm »

At the moment physics for ground vehicles uses ~15cm resolution if I remember correctly.
You can see how it affects the vehicle in this .

Underlying terrain type will affect the physics model as well, probably with the same resolution as the height data.

Oh, so you're saying the cracks will be actual cracks rather then cosmetic textures and maps?

Edit: Or you mean the concrete patches obviously. My bad.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 12:21:40 pm »

But it's the same with the cracks .. they are just harder to get from the type of fractal we are using for most things, so we need to come up with a way to generate them. But they will be actually existing, with geometry autogenerated for it, as everything terrain related here works.

Köngen

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 12:28:44 pm »

But it's the same with the cracks .. they are just harder to get from the type of fractal we are using for most things, so we need to come up with a way to generate them. But they will be actually existing, with geometry autogenerated for it, as everything terrain related here works.

Ooh sweet! :D

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 03:00:31 pm »

I remember you apologizing for using such low resolution collisions for the wheels and then filming newer videos in higher than 15cm res. You also said somewhere along the line that the physics will eventually use the same res as the fractals on the ground of 1cm. If I remember correctly.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 03:57:39 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
I remember you apologizing for using such low resolution collisions for the wheels and then filming newer videos in higher than 15cm res. You also said somewhere along the line that the physics will eventually use the same res as the fractals on the ground of 1cm. If I remember correctly.
No, initially we used >1m resolution, and in the first video with it was quite visible. Then we set the physics to use 8x better detail, which happens to be around 15cm. We talked that for some cases it would be possible to use even better resolution, but generally it should suffice.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 10:09:11 pm »

Ground vehicles being slow and predictable could the collision resolution change around the vehicles when they approach? 15CM is huge for a physics interaction on a road surface. Off-Roading it would probably be acceptable.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 02:40:42 am »

It could be dynamic, using higher res for slower speeds.
But to go below 15cm you'd need also better simulation of wheels, no point in using it when the wheels are simulated as ray casts. I think this should be maybe optional for racing car games or wherever it's needed. For me, 15cm is enough - dunno where in racing you have quicker changes in elevation, but then again, I know nothing about it .. :)