Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Character Animation  (Read 51226 times)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
Re: Character Animation
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2018, 10:47:43 am »

Finally I got my first animated character finished. He likes trekking around the outerra world and to have fun ! Here is a video showing some of the capabilities of my "wanderer".

Download the self installing .otx file of the animated character from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/39xj6m2lrorekst/wanderer.otx?dl=0

Commands of the model:

The model will appear in the "vehicles" menu as it is based on a vehicle script.
key “W”    accelerate
Key “S”    break
Key “A”    turn left
Key “D”    turn right
Key "F"         jump
key “R”    toggle between forward/backward motion

key "L"         toggle between sit-down /get-up

Key “C”    change the "external camera" view mode
Key “V”    change the first person view camer amode
Keys "numpad +/-"    zoom in first person camera view modes

key“H”          toggle different colors of the head up display in one of the first person camera view modes

NOTES:

The physiology of the character is programmed in such a way as to require a short rest after having walked a certain distance or climbed uphill for an imposed altitude difference. The parameters are set at a distance of 1000 m and an altitude difference of 30 m after which the vigor of the character diminishes, requiring a period of rest of 20 seconds to resume the walk.
It is possible to change these characteristics of the character, as well as others - among which also the strength and the maximum speed attainable in sprinting - by opening the text file "wanderer.js" in the C: \ Users \ username \ Outerra \ packages \ fly77 \ wanderer folder
modifying the parameters indicated in the header section of this file.

HAVE FUN !
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 01:08:14 pm by fly77 »

andfly

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2018, 11:50:14 am »

Acc ....   :o

Very beautifull !!!    :D :D   8) 8)
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2018, 12:24:20 pm »

Thanks ! In making it I learned quite a lot. Certainly it is not perfect in several ways, but I'll keep that for the next character.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:27:54 pm by fly77 »

patmarrnc

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2018, 06:01:38 pm »

very cool! Can't wait to DL it and study your script to see how you change ANIM files!

patmarrnc

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2018, 08:37:22 pm »

I appreciate the way the people on this forum freely share their knowledge. I have a problem with stalling when I can't solve a key problem. Unless others who see the problem with new eyes get involved and solve the problem I can't understand, I am inclined to move on to a different hobby and never look back.

Thanks to Andfly for all the encouragement, advice and working scripts!

Thanks to Fly77 for figuring out how to use multiple ANIM files in the same script.

Thanks to the many people (too many to name) who shared their knowledge about how to create textures correctly and upload models and create vehicles and watercraft and flying machines.

And of course, thanks to Cameni et al whose vision and programming skill have created this amazing anteworld we know as Outerra.

What a great global community of clever people!

Summer has redirected my attention to home maintenance... but as winter approaches I hope to start contributing models.  In the works already is a modular castle building set. Here are some pictures of somebody else's castle so you can see how cool a castle looks on a hill overlooking a lake:

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2018, 03:53:52 pm »

cool ! do you plan to use collision boxes for it so that characters can actually walk inside and on top of it and climb stairways and towers and visit the rooms ? I am trying to learn my character walk stairs. If he could visit your castle it will starting to look like a game !
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 05:22:15 pm by fly77 »

patmarrnc

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2018, 12:06:32 am »

well... interesting question... my original plan was to just make the outside of the castle modules without making rooms inside.  In order to match the Outerra world scale these models are already pretty big, and I figure most people would probably just use them as background "fly-by" scenery.  However, I probably should at least add collision so characters can walk along the walls, stand in the archer turrets and on balconies etc.

For my purposes, I make a second version with collision that is used in my animation software, and when I need to have character interacting with the models I do it as close-ups in that environment. I just use the Outerra models to give the scenes a sense of scale in the real world. Any people in those scenes would be green screened onto a different layer.

If you downloaded that last batch of stuff I put on my dropbox, there was a log cabin that had an inside with furniture that can be seen through the windows. But until recently I didn't see much evidence that people were using characters in their world, so I didn't put collision so people could walk up the stairs, stand on the porch and go inside. Maybe I should go back and add collision to that cabin.

There were also 2 stone bridges in the campground models, and they both have collision. If you put them across a stream, cars can drive across and small boats can float through the opening under the bridges.  Using the models in that set (pavilions, tents, picnic tables, campers, park signs, bridges, cabins etc) you can make a pretty cool looking park in the mountains.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2018, 01:34:52 am »

I liked very much your models..especially the bridge and the tutorial you made on it. As we are now able to make characters moving around the outerra world ..as vehicles for the moment...for stairs i think the simplest way is to add a sloped flat collision box "walking surface" as you did in your bridge (see the attached image..it works..of course). I will also try to make some buildings to test the idea of walking inside them. For this i first need to reduce the size of the characters collision box so that he can better walk through doors etc. I will post an updated version soon. By the way I guess you already know these instruction explaining how to add also spheres, cones, etc..as collision shapes https://github.com/Outerra/anteworld/wiki/Importer.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 04:40:40 pm by fly77 »

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2018, 03:27:41 pm »

below is a short video of a first trial for exploring building interiors using a basic house made in blender (adding collision boxes to each building element). So it seems possible to explore building interiors of custom made buildings
in outerra..Still needs some turning regarding the character..especially to turn in tight spaces..(for instance I don't know yet how to implement "strafe" for a vehicle.)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 04:26:30 pm by fly77 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]