Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Non Commercial?  (Read 16495 times)

Supertrainguy

Non Commercial?
« on: March 29, 2010, 06:58:23 pm »

Hi,  this engine looks awesome and I was wondering if there will be a free non-commercial version.

Any help would be nice.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Non Commercial?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 03:30:36 am »

Licensing and versions aren't definite yet, but the possibility is there. There might be also an open, sand-box style game, multiplayer and with a persistent world.
What game would you like to use it for?

Supertrainguy

Non Commercial?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:43:31 am »

If there was a free non-commercial version,  I would want to make a BF2 style game with the better graphics.

I've got all kinds of models.

Box5diesel

Non Commercial?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:51:23 am »

It will be nice to see how the engine grows.  So much potential for all sorts of games and simulations.

charlesmeryon

Non Commercial?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 12:15:51 pm »

I think it will be very interesting to have a free version where players can have fun with the environment.

I try to explain (with my english). I test some game engine and what i'd like to experiment is one with a very good immersion.
Something like to be at a very high altitude in the sky (with perhaps clouds to have a relative movements and position) behind a detailed relief and why not to fly through some spaces to play with physic engine.
For me the most important thing is immersion, to experiment really a virtual reality and with your engine this is very soon ;)

I remember Viewterra engine who u can do many things like game or other stuffs, but world design and graphics quality is not immersive, at all. Works done on this engine was huge so it's sad...

What do u think about my point of view?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Non Commercial?
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 05:38:45 am »

Well the demo should bring some fun with the environment as well, and I'm thinking that maybe it could later evolve into a free sandbox game on whole planet, possibly with multiplayer support, automatically synchronizing and replicating model packages and user edits.
But we have also commercial plans and jobs with the engine, so the demo or the sandbox game shall come out as a byproduct of our efforts with it.

However, support for wide community is our goal too.

We see the engine ultimately as a platform for all simulators of various kind. You see, the vehicles and machines shown in the videos are there to show the potential and capability. But we aren't flight dynamics or precise vehicle simulator fanatics ourselves. We are fanatics for terrain and planetary rendering, complete with features for all tasks simulators may require from it. So what we aim for is a platform that can be used to make simulators and games on whole planet, that is visually attractive and powerful; basically an "operating system" for simulators. It should allow making a flight sim, a gliding sim, a truck sim and so on; basically allowing people to focus on the substance of their obsession, writing the specific physics and game code, without having to deal with world rendering again and again, when the terrain is the point of obsession for a different group of people :)

3dracer01

Non Commercial?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 10:10:45 am »

non comercial would be nice

ive prayed for an engine like this to come about

Beolex

Non Commercial?
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 07:39:34 pm »

I personally believe it should be open source/free/sandbox because you don't get that many quality simulators around anymore. Also, more people can contribute to the project with their own ideas and models. I only know one simulator/game that is very good and is open source, and another one on the internet would boost popularity (because it's free) and the site would get more visits because people wouldn't go try to find the game on uTorrent. Free games are really unique and provide fun for many people. If you get an overflow of members trying to edit maps, get an approval form to approve the objects/modifications they made so it doesn't clog up the space.

Good luck with your choice.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Non Commercial?
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 01:12:50 am »

Well for now this is just an engine. It doesn't rule out a free sandbox game, and we are rather open to that possibility too, but we have to have the time and resources for that. Once the engine is ready and tested in a game, such a project may be started too.

Sano

Non Commercial?
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 09:51:46 am »

When will you release the demo version? Please tell more about this engine.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Non Commercial?
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 09:54:51 am »

Sano

Non Commercial?
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:00:09 am »

Oh, thanks.