Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: CONTROLLER DOCUMENTATION  (Read 4538 times)

patmarrnc

CONTROLLER DOCUMENTATION
« on: December 26, 2017, 09:01:52 pm »

I've searched the forum for "CONTROLLER" hoping to find some documentation on how to configure other devices (besides the mouse ) for navigating the Outerra environment.  Does any such documentation exist?

Specifically I want to use a 3DCONNEXION space navigator, hoping the motion it provides will be smoother and more continuous than what I get from a regular mouse.

in case you might want to build support into Outerra, here's a link to their SDK:
https://www.3dconnexion.com/service/software-developer.html
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 12:14:08 am by patmarrnc »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: CONTROLLER DOCUMENTATION
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 01:03:05 pm »

There's already support for the space navigator, or more generally for 6DOF devices. I use if with ufo controls. You should be able to bind individual axes in the input config.

patmarrnc

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 04:52:34 pm »

There's already support for the space navigator, or more generally for 6DOF devices. I use if with ufo controls. You should be able to bind individual axes in the input config.

Thanks for the response Cameni. Please pardon my thick skull, but when you say "in the input config", are you talking about Outerra's controller setup? Or the Space Navigator's config utility?

I've tried both and I can't get anything to work, except I can bind the buttons on the navigator to keyboard keys A and D (for turning)... but as far as the joystick aspect of the device is concerned, I see no way in either app to directly assign anything to the joystick. 

update: never mind.  In key bindings I found that clicking in the keyboard keystroke field would give me the opportunity to input a joystick axis.  and WOW! I like this! Much smoother motion, and to me it is more intuitive!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:51:56 pm by patmarrnc »

patmarrnc

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:53:42 pm »

I made a video tutorial in case other people are like me and prefer to "see" how something works.