Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: is it possible to test models in outerra "offline ?"  (Read 4258 times)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
is it possible to test models in outerra "offline ?"
« on: September 29, 2018, 05:03:18 pm »

As I start to develop more models I wonder if it is normal that I have to login a hundred times a day to test each minor modification and correct mistakes that for me at least are very frequent.
Is there no way to run the models for testing without loging in each time ? Both to speed up the process and perhpas not saturate the server with login requests but I am not expert in that.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: is it possible to test models in outerra "offline ?"
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 02:22:10 am »

There's -autologin command line argument that automatically logs you in with the recently used credentials, and -noupdate that skips checking the planet updates, which may speed it up.

To avoid logging in completely you can also use -demo after you placed the model as static. In that case you'll only have demo functionality, but it may be enough when you just need to view the model.

I think it's possible to make a shortcut to outerra.exe and give it these command line parameters.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 03:16:49 am »

thanks cameni

andfly

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 07:32:36 am »

Unfortunately it is not possible to use outerra with all its features if you do not log in.
The advice of cameni are very useful to speed up login operations but do not avoid the need.

To work comfortably you can use other strategies.

The most immediate is to use the internal javascript editor (it is called with the ALT + "E" keys) which allows you to change the javascript code without leaving the outerra and therefore without losing the connection.
The "reload" command of this editor reloads and executes the model with the correct code.
But the internal editor is not very convenient, without the copy and paste is efficient for small corrections but not for a deep change of the code.

The strategy that I use now and that satisfies me is to work on outerra with a high resolution setting but NOT FULL SCREEN, reserving the ability to access the Windows Desktop and Toolbar.
I use a very complete external editor
(you can try FreeJavaScript [http://www.yaldex.com/Free_JavaScript_Editor.htm] or PSPad [http://www.pspad.com/] or Visual Studio Code [https: // code. visualstudio.com/]).
I open the editor on the desktop and start outerra by logging in.

If, during the execution of a model, I realize the need to make corrections to the code, I press the ESC key to bring up the arrow of the mouse.
I place myself in the editor window and load the model code.
Make the necessary corrections and changes.
SAVE the correct code (it is essential to save!)
Return to the outerra window and press ESC.
At this point I find myself again in Anteworld in the identical situation of when I came out.
With the key combination Ctrl + Alt + "R" command the reload of the code I have just corrected (and saved) and the execution of the model.

I can skip continuously from the outerra window to the editor window and I can continue working comfortably without ever losing my login and being forced and re-executing it ...

I hope I was helpful.    :D
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 08:16:10 am »

Thank you very much andfly. That looks like a very fast way to edit models indeed !