Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Unlimited Graphics Data Tech  (Read 34682 times)

WarlockSyno

Unlimited Graphics Data Tech
« on: August 01, 2011, 03:51:28 pm »

Opinions?
[video][/video]

PeterBitt

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 04:48:58 pm »

i cant believe what i see there :o
ill wait for some comments of the tech nerds on these forums cause this is way over my head!

SpaceFlight

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 05:09:15 pm »

Yeah, I remember when they announced this technology a year ago.
I too am interested to read what the tech experts would have to say to this.
So instead of polygons they use atoms and basically an unlimited amount of them and still achieve reasonable framerates?
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 05:41:24 pm »

Yeah I remember this from a year ago as well, but unless this will make graphically awesome games run well on my Pentium 4, I don't give a shit.  :rolleyes: ... until I can upgrade my computer.  :P

Also I would like to see a presentation with objects with better quality textures.

But I would honestly lol if somebody who knows a lot about this stuff says "BS!"  :lol:

Not to mention this guy's got the best troll voice on the planet...
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Tottel

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 05:49:21 pm »

Finnnnnnally, an update!

It looks amazing indeed :)
I'm curious to see how they'll handle physics and animation though.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 06:25:59 pm »

It's based on sparse voxel octrees, a technique that is quite efficient in terms of computation requirements per screen resolution, and needs lower amount of data and storage than classic voxel engines.

Disadvantage is that some things that are fairly easy to do with polygons are considerably harder to do with SVO for the same level of quality or naturalness. Zooming in without getting blocky appearance, and mainly the problem of animation and deformation. But also lighting, shadows and other things.
Albeit all those issues can be solved or addressed to some extent, it needs a lot of development to be invested into it, and still it's questionable if it will ever be able to compete. Its inflexibility is a huge problem.

That, and those guys pushing it by way of claiming there's a kind of conspiracy in the industry against this universal remedy for all problems, doesn't add to the credibility.
On the other hand, I feel that that voice has the potential to disqualify any tech :D

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 03:52:39 am »

Saw their demo a year ago. Was going to bring it up here but knew it was an entirely different direction. Still cool tech!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:31:00 pm »

There's been a post about it by Notch, who used a bit harsher words :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 02:29:25 pm »

Quote from: cameni
There's been a post about it by Notch, who used a bit harsher words :)

post about it by Notch

Notch

Worst coder ever commenting on something. I would ignore his cash flow and note how many times HIS coding has set back the game of minecraft. Only now that his $$$ is so great that he can hire proper coders can minecraft ACTUALLY improve.

Plus I think he is bias to any game system not made of giant one meter cubes with a piss poor view distance and bad optimization.

I will trust your review of the tech over his.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PeterBitt

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 02:59:00 pm »

with the comments from cameni and notch in mind, im now a lot more sceptic...
but when notch complained about bad animations with that voxel thing, i was instantly reminded to outcast (game) wich had fantastic voxel landscapes + polygon models for all the creatures and characters. with that combination they should be able to get over most of the downsides, right?

lets wait another year and see the next milestone of that engine, maybe, with alot of skill, knowledge and work they will realy bring us a new generation of 3d gaming?!

so hurry up cameni & angrypig and give us outerra now :D  :)  :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:24:01 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
I will trust your review of the tech over his.
Can't really comment on Notch, but with both reviews basically the same it doesn't matter, does it? ;)

Quote from: PeterBitt
but when notch complained about bad animations with that voxel thing, i was instantly reminded to outcast (game) wich had fantastic voxel landscapes + polygon models for all the creatures and characters. with that combination they should be able to get over most of the downsides, right?
Well the problem is that this is not a voxel engine. It's effectively a highly optimized static scene compression technique, with a fast algorithm for scene traversal.

It reminds me of one statement about one high level programming language: It makes easy things easier, and hard things impossible.
Their marketing strategy kinda works - gamers are enthusiastic, it spreads everywhere. Developers are mostly disgusted by the populist approach that tells just a third of the facts, by chance just the positive ones, and not mentioning the road blocks at all.

Redrobes

• http://www.viewingdale.com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 06:41:15 pm »

I get the gist about filling out the octree and that remeshing (if I should use that word) the octree for a different scene due to animation has been traditionally difficult. What I can see from the video is that nothing is moving which lends me to think that they haven't solved that aspect of it.

So if the rendering technique is excellent but has a huge downside then I think, as notch has said, its cool but unless that downside can be overcome then its just a tech demo.

SpaceFlight

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 08:39:08 am »

Here an interview with Bruce Dell.
He shows a real time demo from 22:19 on:

[video][/video]
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

Tottel

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 09:45:15 am »

Nicely done. The only interviewer they accept has no clue how those things are made.
They dodged the "How much disk space would it use when all content was unique, instead of repetitive?"

WarlockSyno

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 09:36:50 am »

Quote from: Tottel
Nicely done. The only interviewer they accept has no clue how those things are made.
They dodged the "How much disk space would it use when all content was unique, instead of repetitive?"

Not everything has to be unique. Most games have the same items in every level. Usually with a different scale, color, or texture.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4