Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Question about demo ability to import user-created objects  (Read 7361 times)

Dmytro Lyakh

Question about demo ability to import user-created objects
« on: August 14, 2011, 08:30:21 pm »

Cameni, will demo allow to import massive user-created objects similar to what you can see in the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz3fc3OwJkA&feature=player_embedded#at=20

If not, at what point of Outerra development you expect this to happen?

IMHO, virtual sightseeing could be one of strongest Outerra selling points.  :)

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 02:01:01 am »

Dont think so. For Sightseeing you have to recreate whole towns and cities. Thats impossible in the nearest future. Maybe if you make this project open for all contributors, so everyone _could_ contribute some buildings (like googleearth). But that will result in different modeling- /texturing styles. Sometimes that wont fit the outerra-quality.

What you can make is sightseeing in random generated cities. Thats possible, yah.

Dmytro Lyakh

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:01:26 pm »

Quote from: necro
Dont think so. For Sightseeing you have to recreate whole towns and cities. Thats impossible in the nearest future. Maybe if you make this project open for all contributors, so everyone _could_ contribute some buildings (like googleearth). But that will result in different modeling- /texturing styles. Sometimes that wont fit the outerra-quality.

What you can make is sightseeing in random generated cities. Thats possible, yah.
Hm, cameni, did'nt know you have second nick on this forum.  :lol:

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:49:50 am »

Quote from: ldmytro
Cameni, will demo allow to import massive user-created objects?
Demo won't allow importing stuff, it will come only later into the game in sandbox mode. Large or small, shouldn't matter much.
But as necro says, recreating the whole cities would be an enormous task and not using a generator will mean a huge amount of resources needed to load and render custom made unoptimized objects, and it can put the whole thing down easily.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:15:38 am »

i answered in my comprehension, so you could get the anwser 23h earlier than awaiting camenis post. This is a forum and if you have the liberty to post ideas, i'll have the liberty to answering on my point of view :Þ
 I'd like to apologize for shredding your idea :).

Dmytro Lyakh

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:58:15 am »

Quote from: necro

i answered in my comprehension, so you could get the anwser 23h earlier than awaiting camenis post. This is a forum and if you have the liberty to post ideas, i'll have the liberty to answering on my point of view :Þ
 I'd like to apologize for shredding your idea :).
You should'nt do any apologizing! I was just a little curious about initial possibilities of Outerra on demo release. Anyway, I'm sure that gradually it will reach this ability in some form or another.