Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Combat Sim_My Idea  (Read 14319 times)

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Combat Sim_My Idea
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:59:39 pm »

Hello everyone!

This graphics engine took my breath away.  With its endless possibilities for action from the ground to beyond the sky, I think that a futuristic combat sim focusing on ground, naval, air, and orbital space combat would be the perfect way to show off this incredible engine.  If anyone has any comments, feel free.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

Abc94

Combat Sim_My Idea
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 01:24:11 pm »

Yeah, I think that's a great idea!

Maybe something like a FPS/RTS (Operation Flashpoint) that would involve land, air, naval and space.  I think a game like that on this scale would blow everything out of the water!  :)

I posted an idea like this earlier (http://www.outerra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=34) and Cameni mentioned the problem of how players would find each other on such a big scale.  I think it could still be done though, like with operation flashpoint the player builds ai units and gives them orders, or if there was someway to get more than 256 players on a single server.  Or maybe for each round the game would randomly select an area in the world for battles to be fought.

I am sure there is still a way to make this happen somehow though.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Combat Sim_My Idea
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:47:52 pm »

Yeah, handling the scale and the gameplay is one big issue.

There was also a thread about one such an idea, but more specifically oriented towards multiplayer at forums.eagle.ru that you may want to read. Pointed to several issues that come up.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
Combat Sim_My Idea
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 01:53:41 pm »

Thanks for the link, it gave me an idea.  Perhaps switching on the fly between high terrain detail for FPS action and lower terrain detail for air and space action could solve the detail problem.  Since my idea was for this concept to be in the future, maybe there could be fast air transports to shuttle vehicles and troops around the virtual world in game/sim.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
Karel Janoušek
So be our guide

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Combat Sim_My Idea
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 02:01:28 pm »

Well that's not the problem - we already seamlessly switch between LOD levels as needed, so you can have FPS combined with space sim or anything in between.
It's more about the gameplay - if all the aspects of such game can be made equally fun and balanced. For a combat sim, in such a scale.

RaikoRaufoss

Combat Sim_My Idea
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:09:39 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Well that's not the problem - we already seamlessly switch between LOD levels as needed, so you can have FPS combined with space sim or anything in between.
It's more about the gameplay - if all the aspects of such game can be made equally fun and balanced. For a combat sim, in such a scale.
Yes, that's the challenge.  It will take time, but I'm sure we can work it out.  There's also the question of platform compatibility.  Will this run solely on Windows, or will we port it to Mac OSX and Linux?

Given that computer performance is increasing and pricing is dropping practically by the week, we could go with whatever's the latest graphics solution, given that it will most likely be a while before we have a beta of anything and that by that time people will have the latest and greatest.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
Karel Janoušek
So be our guide

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Combat Sim_My Idea
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 02:30:19 pm »

While we aren't actively caring if the code can be build on multiple platforms at this time, we are using only portable code/libraries, to ensure it will be possible in the future. Now that OpenGL 4 came up it doesn't look bad.

wael

Combat Sim_My Idea
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 10:35:24 pm »

this will be a great thing to make and you can make missions like simple air missions like intercept and boombing and things like that and for cars you can make like a missions where you need to transporet soldiers into any place first by cars then by air and things like that but again this is gonna take a very long hard working time to make it a avery good play like operation flash point and arma and others but it is your choice .... any way with or without a combat mode i think that this engine will be a very good one .
thanks for making great engine.