Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Contributions  (Read 8742 times)

RandomTroubledMind

Contributions
« on: November 16, 2011, 08:52:57 pm »

I have been following the progress of this project for quite some time. I usually find myself having to pick my jaw back from off the floor after each new video. It is truly fantastic.

I was curious as to how one could contribute to this project? I have become a fairly experienced modeler and spend much of my free time fooling around in Blender, which I understand is your 3D Program of choice. I was curious if you would be willing to accept content created by third parties to be included in the engine's world? For instance, a follower might be willing to contribute models and layouts of their home town/city along with detailed local airports, harbors, university campuses, you name it! If everyone with some skills and the right documentation were to contribute something they have unique knowledge about, the quality and accuracy of the world you wish to create would increase dramatically.

I understand you are considering making Outerra open source in the future (at least that's what I have read) and perhaps this is something that could wait for that time. However, I think this should be something to consider as I'm sure there are many people would would be willing to contribute their work to this project.

Again, I am amazed every time something new is released. This project is simply fantastic and I hope that Outerra is well received in the industry when the time comes to integrate it into many various applications.

RTM

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Contributions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:43:29 am »

Hi RTM, thanks for the kind words.
I think there were several questions already posted on the forums about how one could contribute models, but since the import of models currently requires our manual tweaking, it's a bit inconvenient for people (and us), and so we received only a few models thus far.

An importer will come with one of the early alpha builds of our game, and that's when I expect it to really take off. There will be a sandbox mode, allowing people to make whatever they want in there. We also hope we'll find a couple of skilled modelers and designers this way.