Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Road Tool  (Read 11871 times)

Simbuilder5

Road Tool
« on: January 21, 2012, 07:17:34 pm »

Hey, I just have some questions on the road tool in Outerra.
1. Will there be a tool to make multi lane one-way roads?
2. Will there ever be a bridge tool or an elevated road tool?
3. Is there an automatic intersection snap that will have road markings.
4. Will there be a highway tool with a barrier wall in between?
5. Will there be artificial intelligence for the computer drivers in the game?
6. Can speed limits be implemented for different sections of the roads?
7. Will there be a sidewalk integration?
Thanks!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Road Tool
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:27:27 am »

The road tool consists of two main parts - a front-end that allows to create the vector paths, and a back-end that applies the definitions when the terrain is generated. Roads aren't separate objects in the engine, they are integrated into the procedural engine, and as such they produce roads that are seamlessly integrated into the terrain. All markings are generated procedurally as well.

1. Will there be a tool to make multi lane one-way roads?
Multi lane roads are just wide roads with proper markings. At the moment the engine comes with just a couple of markings that are encoded within the road-applying shader. The markings will be later fetched from a separate external definition file.

2. Will there ever be a bridge tool or an elevated road tool?
Yes. There will be a procedural generator for the bridges. The same generator is probably going to be used for railway tracks.

3. Is there an automatic intersection snap that will have road markings.
Not yet. It's not just about the markings, the road snapper has to be able to join roads in various conditions - at an angle, slope etc. The markings are the least of the problem.

4. Will there be a highway tool with a barrier wall in between?
The barrier wall (and crash barriers on the sides) could be probably generated using the same generator as for the bridge segments ...

5. Will there be artificial intelligence for the computer drivers in the game?
That's game-specific, but I can imagine that games will use the vector data of the roads + some AI to run around the obstacles.

6. Can speed limits be implemented for different sections of the roads?
Game specific. Hmm, the only relation to the engine itself would be if the engine allowed to attach some custom info to the road nodes, that can be used by the game running it. That could include other traffic-related information too.

7. Will there be a sidewalk integration?
Sidewalks can be done as part of the road. Roads are defined also by their profile shape, which allows to generate dirt roads. One can use a profile that includes sidewalk just as easily. Probably will need to extend the material set to have a different material for the border.

Köngen

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 04:25:19 pm »

This is all very nice. I was actually thinking about Outerra a while back at the highway. Whether some of the continuous "details" could be procedurally generated along with the roads such as wire fences, armco fences, merge lane signs. I was also thinking that two highway roads could be handled as one with a separation. Maybe containing a ditch at certain sections.

Local highway used as reference :P

I would also like to know about curbs in race-track style environments.

If something like this were to be implemented using a combination of that profile editor and road markings. Would these be able to generate a rumble sound when you drive on them?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:33:37 pm by Köngen »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 04:45:02 pm »

Dat's not 'merica... Rabblerabblerabble  :P
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

SpaceFlight

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 04:55:32 pm »

If something like this were to be implemented using a combination of that profile editor and road markings. Would these be able to generate a rumble sound when you drive on them?

The rumble sound - no racing simulation without it.  :D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:57:28 pm by SpaceFlight »
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

Köngen

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 05:03:47 pm »

The rumble sound - no racing simulation without it.  :D

It sure adds to the experience. However, my absolute favourite racing simulator; LFS completely lacks this feature :(

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 05:12:33 pm »

Yea, that curb is a must. Zeos would not forgive us :)

The procedural road profile normally defines lateral parameters of the road - the shape (height + blend coef to terrain), the cross-cut of surface materials. The surface materials can be also defined to alter over some unit length, which can be used to make dashed markings or those red-white curb stripes.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 09:10:06 pm »

I will add simply.. Do it.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo