Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Battlefield 3 epic failure  (Read 18656 times)

SpaceFlight

Re: Battlefield 3 epic failure
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 02:23:54 pm »

Yeah, what happened?
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 04:03:07 pm »

:o  Wow man.  Sorry about that.  You didn't need to do that.  I was just messing around.  Hope you come back sometime.
You were?  Sorry, I just took what you said personally.  I was feeling rather vulnerable after my overreaction, and thought that your post was taunting me over my locking of the topic and then having to unlock the topic.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 04:15:53 pm »

I just think you may not yet be a seasoned veteran of the internet forums world. I hope you don't go and instead just takes any future pressures with a grain of salt.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 04:42:57 pm »

Oh yeah... I've met some people who are generally new to forums who have some bad reactions to what they see, mainly older adults.  I'll just say that people on the internet and internet etiquette can be a lot different than real life etiquette and how people act in real life.  Yeah, it can sometimes be hard to tell if there's sarcasm in text, but... there's a lot of sarcasm on the internet.  :P 

And then there's the real trolls...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:44:28 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 05:04:56 pm »

I just think you may not yet be a seasoned veteran of the internet forums world. I hope you don't go and instead just takes any future pressures with a grain of salt.
Well, I'm not as green when it comes to the internet forums world as you might think, but sometimes I can be gullible, or think someone means one thing when in fact they meant another.  Bottom line-it's just me.  Jager-I've seen some unbelievable trolls, like the legendary sebra139.  Don't worry everyone, I'll be staying.  A multiplayer Steel Beasts Pro PE campaign is due to start next month.  I think I'll do a topic covering it. 8)
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 01:30:21 am »

It's also very VERY easy to misinterpret a forum post.  I've done my fair share over the last 12 years, and will continue to do so.  But knowing you misinterpret something, or generally miss the vibe trying to be presented, is half the battle.

Lesser men don't take heed.  Greater men do, and move on.  The internet, after all is said and done, is nothing more than faceless pixels and machine-interpreted ones and zeroes.  While the internet is a great tool to help some get out of their social cell, it can also be ripe for misinterpretation.  You don't see the eyebrows raised, the subtle wink of the eye, nor the modest crook of the lips to indicate sarcasm.  That, in and of itself, is the internet's greatest failing.

Still, a good troll can liven up a forum, even if it's only for the moderators.  It's a dirty job, afterall.

And I should know -- I get paid for it =P
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 02:53:03 pm »

Some  ;) would  :) say  ???8) use  :) too  :o many  ;D smilies,  :) but  ???8) don't :'( think  ??? so.  ;D ::)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

[deleted]

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 09:42:43 am »

Alert: troll releveated /sarcasm.
Seriously guys this thread went totally off topic. But you have my permission to continue if you want lol.

FsTheo

• OldFlightSimmer
    • Dutchfs.com
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 05:09:21 pm »

Some  ;) would  :) say  ???8) use  :) too  :o many  ;D smilies,  :) but  ???8) don't :'( think  ??? so.  ;D ::)

No you don't. Since 2003 I'm Admin on Dutchfs, a flight simulator website in the Netherlands and in Dutch of course. :) Years ago I discovered an article somewere about things going wrong on forums. I posted it on Dutchfs and a lot of people recognised it.

Here's a rough translation:

Every now and then members have a dispute on forums.
Of course, we are all different people, different backgrounds, different language, choice of words.

Misunderstanding is sometimes what happens then, but the other day I learned it's even worse!

7% of our communication is by written word, what we do here.
But in 'real life' we add gestures, bodylanguage and that's good for another 35%.

For the rest, 58%, we make ourselves clear with eyecontact, our voice, high pitch, low pitch.

No wonder it goes wrong every now and then. We have this 7% to explain the 100% of what we want to say!
Just asking a question, give an answer is no problem, but when emotions are involved, it's getting more and more difficult.

We have the emoticons of course, and maybe we can double this 7% to 14% by using them.

But then of course the other has to understand that 'you fool!' is something different then 'you fool!'

I can't remember were I found this knowledge, but if it's true, then we miss 93% of means of communication on a forum.

So maybe it's normal and we can't help it, that things go wrong (by accident!) sometimes..

Theo
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:49:25 am by FsTheo »
Pages: 1 [2]