Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Outerra problems on my PC.  (Read 14625 times)

BenDragon

Outerra problems on my PC.
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:02:08 pm »

Okay, I've tried out the outerra engine and it runs pretty rough on my PC... no matter what settings they are set at.

I think about 50% it runs smoothly, the other 50% is just down right nasty.

Here's some pictures of what I get.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/662/disconnectedshadow.png
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/6813/error1vn.png
http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/1911/error2ig.png
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2571/error3z.png

When things like that happen, my computer whines up indicating it's having trouble running the program.

And all of a sudden, the computer freezes and starts responding a few moments later... but this time, there's a message saying "NVIDIA OpenGL lost connection with the display due to a time out" with an "error code 7" underneath it indicating that there's a real problem with either outerra or my computer.

I'm running outerra with a gainward nvidia geforce gtx 260 graphics card

with the latest driver version (which is 295.73). If you need any more information, just ask.

I also found the game to be highly unstable even when it worked properly. As in if the vehicle goes too fast, if it impacted on something hard at just the right angle... Or the outerra game laggs (this would be when I would be doing something), the vehicle would literally fall underneath the map and it would be "irretrievable".

When a vehicle does this, it would continue accelerating and accelerating without a limit to its abilities, while it would do this, the vehicle's sound would increase its pitch too.

I'm not sure if it's the game or my PC... But something is going wrong... Can someone please help me out here?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Outerra problems on my PC.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:14:37 pm »

Please attach eng.log and time.log from a session with such an error. How much memory has the card got?

BenDragon

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 06:28:14 pm »

I'm not sure where to retrieve these logs.

According to http://www.gainward.de/main/vgapro.php?id=106 it has 896 MB.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:04:15 pm »

When you installed the app, you first picked the install location, and then the data location. The data location defaults to your home dir \ Outerra.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 07:12:08 pm »

The GeForce GTS 450 has a GPU core speed of 783 MHz, and the 512 MB of GDDR5    memory is set to run at 902 MHz through a 128-bit bus. It also is made up of 192 SPUs, 32 TAUs, and 16 ROPs.
Compare all that to the GeForce GTX 260, which features a clock speed of 576 MHz and a GDDR3 memory speed of 999 MHz. It also features a 448-bit memory bus, and makes use of a 65 nm design. It is comprised of 192 SPUs, 64 Texture Address Units, and 28 ROPs.

Compared to my card, Cameni, and I don't get these kinds of issues very often, if it all.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

BenDragon

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:15:00 pm »

Here you go.

I hope this is right because I have played it since the errors came up... Yes they did appear at different times throughout the day.

Edit: unfortunately, I couldn't attach the time.log since it's 2.44MBs in size, so here's a link as a substitute.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/time.log

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 07:27:52 pm »

The GeForce GTS 450 has a GPU core speed of 783 MHz, and the 512 MB of GDDR5    memory is set to run at 902 MHz through a 128-bit bus. It also is made up of 192 SPUs, 32 TAUs, and 16 ROPs.
Compare all that to the GeForce GTX 260, which features a clock speed of 576 MHz and a GDDR3 memory speed of 999 MHz. It also features a 448-bit memory bus, and makes use of a 65 nm design. It is comprised of 192 SPUs, 64 Texture Address Units, and 28 ROPs.

Compared to my card, Cameni, and I don't get these kinds of issues very often, if it all.
I know, people with 250GT or 8800GT are running it fine .. this must be something else.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 07:35:09 pm »

Nothing unusual there :(
Do you have possibility to test it with another video card, so we could determine if it's related to the graphics card or not?

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 07:51:28 pm »

I know, people with 250GT or 8800GT are running it fine .. this must be something else.

I'd be interested in seeing what is running in the background for something like this.  In one of my previous jobs as a printer technician, my customer was running a vector graphics app that had an OpenGL render window that showed some similar graphics glitches.  I forget what program it was that was running in the background that was causing it, but it was sapping the OpenGL to such a degree that it would cause the card to either run out of memory or bog the through-put down.

I'm wondering if he could use Process Explorer to independently shut down background apps (other than windows explorer and whatever else is necessary) one at a time to see if it changes things.  If it doesn't, then that will point back to a driver or hardware issue, I would suspect.

Oh, and I just remembered that at one point, a Teamspeak plugin would cause a similar artifact and/or crash in one of my 3d apps that uses OpenGL as a 3d viewer.  Once I shut it down, the problem went away.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

BenDragon

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 03:19:12 am »

Nothing unusual there :(
Do you have possibility to test it with another video card, so we could determine if it's related to the graphics card or not?
I'm sorry. But I do not have the knowledge how to place computer parts. Besides I do not own any spare parts at this moment in time, but I will try to get something sorted.

I'd be interested in seeing what is running in the background for something like this.  In one of my previous jobs as a printer technician, my customer was running a vector graphics app that had an OpenGL render window that showed some similar graphics glitches.  I forget what program it was that was running in the background that was causing it, but it was sapping the OpenGL to such a degree that it would cause the card to either run out of memory or bog the through-put down.

I'm wondering if he could use Process Explorer to independently shut down background apps (other than windows explorer and whatever else is necessary) one at a time to see if it changes things.  If it doesn't, then that will point back to a driver or hardware issue, I would suspect.

Oh, and I just remembered that at one point, a Teamspeak plugin would cause a similar artifact and/or crash in one of my 3d apps that uses OpenGL as a 3d viewer.  Once I shut it down, the problem went away.
Would you like to take the standard processes I have running upon startup?

By the way, the timeout error 7 code reappeared and here it is http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3817/error7.png.

Added: The error message took me to http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3007.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:27:03 am by BenDragon »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 03:58:56 am »

Hmm that's one possibility, I remember there were some issues with screensavers and various active desktop programs, even when they were inactive. What was it .. an active desktop on Alienware machines.

The timeout error - it's as if the card was doing something else as well, because even weaker cards can handle OT ok. Are you using default graphics settings? You can delete eng.cfg and world.cfg in data folder and have it recreated from defaults.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:02:14 am by cameni »

BenDragon

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 04:19:42 am »

It seems to be better then before.

But there's still loads of bugs.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:31:50 am by BenDragon »

vincibb

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 08:53:22 am »

I've got this error too every time I want to fly with cessna and I change camera to outside then after few seconds it freeze and crash with "Lost connection" error. Oh and I've problem with propeller too(It looks like this http://s17.postimage.org/5rnxy48n3/Propeller.jpg )
Here is my log : http://www.dnesne.sk/eng.log

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 08:58:08 am »

Could you try an earlier Nvidia driver, for example 285.xx?

vincibb

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 10:23:43 am »

I tried to reinstall newest driver with 285.62 propeller issue depends on shadow but it still crash when I use outside camera for few secs
Pages: [1] 2