Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: about flextires  (Read 9419 times)

dajoun

about flextires
« on: June 13, 2010, 01:59:57 pm »

hello ...Outerra have flextires ?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
about flextires
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 02:11:53 pm »

Nope, wheel/tire simulation is rather primitive at the moment. We are focusing on other things so I suppose these things could be implemented in a plugin once a proper plugin system is ready.

MatthewS

about flextires
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 07:26:16 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Nope, wheel/tire simulation is rather primitive at the moment. We are focusing on other things so I suppose these things could be implemented in a plugin once a proper plugin system is ready.

IMHO plug-ins are the way to go.  

You could have a basic tyre simulation handled by the engine but there should be the capability for plug-ins to override that.

Imagine a driving sim where you have many AI cars driving along the roads.  The engines' basic tyre sim could be used to handle those AI cars.   Presumably this inbuilt basic tyre sim would NOT be CPU intensive.  The player however might want much better fidelity for the car they are driving and hence they use a more sophisticated tyre sim plug-in.

The same applies for aircraft, trains, boats.  The player would expect high fidelity simulation of his aircraft/train/boats physics via a plug-in but the physics of AI controlled aircraft/trains/boats would not need to be so demanding.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
about flextires
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 08:15:01 pm »

Quote from: MatthewS
Quote from: cameni

IMHO plug-ins are the way to go.  

You could have a basic tyre simulation handled by the engine but there should be the capability for plug-ins to override that.

Imagine a driving sim where you have many AI cars driving along the roads.  The engines' basic tyre sim could be used to handle those AI cars.   Presumably this inbuilt basic tyre sim would NOT be CPU intensive.  The player however might want much better fidelity for the car they are driving and hence they use a more sophisticated tyre sim plug-in.

The same applies for aircraft, trains, boats.  The player would expect high fidelity simulation of his aircraft/train/boats physics via a plug-in but the physics of AI controlled aircraft/trains/boats would not need to be so demanding.
Excellent.  If we had a reputation system here, I'd use it for this post. +1

I propose that the graphics engine be built so as to allow plug-ins for every conceivable use, from camouflage to spaceships to cafes to bridges and anythings else desired.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

MatthewS

about flextires
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 09:17:26 pm »

Quote from: RaikoRaufoss
I propose that the graphics engine be built so as to allow plug-ins for every conceivable use, from camouflage to spaceships to cafes to bridges and anythings else desired.

Yes!  And another thing why I think plug-ins are important is that IMHO no matter how genius the Outerra developers are there is no way they have enough time to program sophisticated driving, flight or boat physics/simulations into the engine.  They should just work on the core platform and leave the complex "vertical market" simulation coding to the plug-in developers.  

Just think of all the types of plug-ins that could be developed... flight, driving, train, boating physics, weather systems simulation (ie from downloaded METARS), ATC simulation, AI cars/plane/train/boat/people traffic etc.