Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: The Netherlands didn't survive the apocalypse?  (Read 7961 times)

JustRen

The Netherlands didn't survive the apocalypse?
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:44:12 am »

First off, let me just say that I absolutely love what you guys are doing here, and I bought the full version as soon as I read it. After some experimenting around with the airplane and roads in the default location, I wanted to explore my homecountry, the Netherlands. So I filled in the lat & lon, it started loading up and I could make out the basic shape of the Netherlands. But as I started descending down to earth, I noticed almost 90% of the country was under water. Is this an issue that is going to be fixed later on (with the additions of rivers and such) or is this not going to be possible?

I've attached a screenshot with what should've been my city and country.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:56:12 am by JustRen »

[deleted]

Re: The Netherlands didn't survive the apocalypse?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:57:39 am »

The coasts of Italy are also filled with water. I mean, water starts before the actual land finishes (you can see by watching google earth in game). Maybe it was like this in the anteworld era ?

JustRen

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:01:40 am »

Well I know it's hard to not be able to create the perfect coastlines, but for a whole country to sink is a bit dramatic :p I just wanted to recreate a popular airport in the Netherlands so I could try to fly around, but it would mean that I'd create a nautical airport instead...

On another note, any flight-simmers out there?

Oldtown

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:01:55 am »

Take a look at the Northpole ... there are no glaciers ... all melt away so I guess the climatechange has also been simulated in Outerra ^^

[deleted]

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 10:02:51 am »

That's a good theory. Maybe it's a easter egg ?

EDIT: I am a sim player. I play falcon bms and DCS. And others, of course.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:04:42 am by secret1962 »

mctash

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:04:10 am »

yep there are plenty of flight simmers here, me included :) Seen a few fsx content creators here too which is really good news. Hopefully we can get a decent content conversion workflow going when the time is right (assuming we have permissions etc etc)

[deleted]

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:06:04 am »

The jet physics in bf3 is a shame :(

P.S. let's try to not go off topic :P Included me.

EDIT: I saw the photo. Poor city :P
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:08:23 am by secret1962 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 10:10:28 am »

Well, that's a question. Game setting says it's several hundred years after civilization. A believable game setting would require that a large part of Netherlands is flooded
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/NederlandvolgensNAP.PNG/575px-NederlandvolgensNAP.PNG

Fortunately (for Dutch), this is not just about the game :)
And I guess you would restore the dikes anyway :D

Netherlands will be solved together with lakes and dams. Lakes normally define areas with custom water level; for this to work in Outerra we'll have to dig the lake bed into the source elevation data (radar-scanned data provide elevation of water surface). For Netherlands and other parts of the world that lie below the sea level the elevations of land below the sea level are already correct, so we essentially have to overlay a lake (sea) polygon that says that the sea level is at -7m.

JustRen

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 10:13:09 am »

Haha well that's a plausible scenario, looks like I'll have to move my little peaceful village to the top of a mountain somewhere in Norway then... Good to see that there are so many flight simmers here, I would love for Outerra/Anteworld to incorporate flight simulation, either by content created by others or by themselves.

Since it has the ability to incorporate other open-source libraries, maybe we'll some day be able to skydive/base-jump/wingsuit aswell! Like BASE, a base-jumping game that is now being worked on as open-source: http://www.flokas.de/baseforum/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=d5e3f26de88a9dde6e5f7025f457813c
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:19:14 am by JustRen »

JustRen

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:16:28 am »

Well, that's a question. Game setting says it's several hundred years after civilization. A believable game setting would require that a large part of Netherlands is flooded
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/NederlandvolgensNAP.PNG/575px-NederlandvolgensNAP.PNG

Fortunately (for Dutch), this is not just about the game :)
And I guess you would restore the dikes anyway :D

Netherlands will be solved together with lakes and dams. Lakes normally define areas with custom water level; for this to work in Outerra we'll have to dig the lake bed into the source elevation data (radar-scanned data provide elevation of water surface). For Netherlands and other parts of the world that lie below the sea level the elevations of land below the sea level are already correct, so we essentially have to overlay a lake (sea) polygon that says that the sea level is at -7m.

Ah that's pretty great to hear, would mean that a group of people with some sum of time on their hands would be able to recreate parts of The Netherlands based on correct geography. Looking forward to future releases :)

zuluknob

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 08:26:36 pm »

Death Valley,California also has a new water park. :)
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...