Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: The lake that wasn't  (Read 11494 times)

Draco18s

The lake that wasn't
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:03:52 pm »

Thought I'd check out a lovely little town in Washington state (great vacation spot, a must-visit) and instead of a nice town only accessible via boat, foot, or float planes, I found a bare grassland.

Instead of a 50 mile long lake, there's a 50 mile long perfectly flat, grassy area (what keeps the game from populating it with tress?)

And I was sad.

(Side note: I can't even attach a screenshot the game output without first compressing it!)

kcgb

Re: The lake that wasn't
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:14:12 pm »

There are no rivers or lakes anywhere yet

Draco18s

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:19:57 pm »

There are no rivers or lakes anywhere yet

Ah, ok. :)

I hadn't noticed.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:40:58 pm »

Also, trees only appear on slopes at the moment.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 01:15:16 am »

Thought I'd check out a lovely little town in Washington state (great vacation spot, a must-visit) and instead of a nice town only accessible via boat, foot, or float planes, I found a bare grassland.

Instead of a 50 mile long lake, there's a 50 mile long perfectly flat, grassy area (what keeps the game from populating it with tress?)

And I was sad.

(Side note: I can't even attach a screenshot the game output without first compressing it!)

Lake Lewisville in TX (my home-town) is much the same.  I pestered Cameni for weeks asking for a screenshot of the location, only to be told time and again that it was uninteresting.  He finally got so annoyed with the requests that he posted it :).  Contrary to his thoughts, I believe the shot was VERY interesting, as Lake Lewisville is an artificial lake, and wouldn't be there if humankind hadn't dammed the river that runs through here.

Lakes and rivers will come much later.  The devs have to figure out the best way to do it for the engine, but also for the Anteworld game (which takes away man's influences on nature -- so in the game, my wonderful Lake Lewisville would NOT be there at all).
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:06:14 am »

(which takes away man's influences on nature -- so in the game, my wonderful Lake Lewisville would NOT be there at all).
The question is how quick would the dam fall apart once people ... lose interest in maintaining it :)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:16:33 am »

(which takes away man's influences on nature -- so in the game, my wonderful Lake Lewisville would NOT be there at all).
The question is how quick would the dam fall apart once people ... lose interest in maintaining it :)

LOL ... for Lake Lewisville's dam, I don't think it would take more than half a century :P

A couple of years ago, we had a major rainstorm over the course of a month that literally rose the lake level above the dam/levee ... and flooded almost half of the land area around here (luckily, it was mostly unincorporated land).  An animal shelter in one of our sister cities had the lake shore LITERALLY on their backdoor.  I had to evacuate a couple of dozen animals from that shelter as a result.

It's interesting that Texas only has a very few natural lakes.  Almost every single one in the state is man-made.  I sometimes wonder how many other states are in the same position as us, and what the world would be like without them.  Even the Mississippi River would flow quite differently without humanity's interference, and would make Louisiana's major cities a flood plain ....

... which reminds me ... just visited New Orleans recently in Outerra ... was actually please with what I saw LOL.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

marcinsmereka

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 07:20:00 am »

Four years had passed since this thread started and still no lakes? I don't see any in Europe. Are there any plans to add lakes?