Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: other game like outerra?  (Read 14207 times)

robin00795

other game like outerra?
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:10:55 am »

What do you think about this?

I think outerra can be more better, because here its just random world ...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:24:35 am by robin00795 »

Luishi5k0

Re: other game like outerra?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:08:00 am »

It has been at about the same place in development for a long time. If it ever sees the light of day it would be neat, but I doubt it. Nothing currently released compares to Outerra (except Space Engine, but that's a bit different).

Matt6767

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 11:52:34 am »

Its like Space Engine, unlike Outerra they're going to focus on multiple planets. I read that they wanted to do an Eve-like MMO, but it seems they halted the game development and will be working on the engine instead. 

You know whats funny though is the game Evochron Mercenary looks very similar to that engine, their game is pretty much a soft version of EVE too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/71000/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

atazs

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 04:54:30 pm »

This is a long time from release. Ive already made a thread about wurm online and i think thats the closest game to outerra right now in rendering, map size and dynamic enviroment.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 06:00:27 pm »

Hey, nobody's flat out denying that Anteworld won't have other planets, because it can.  They're working on Earth right now because it's the most important and making the other planets should be a lot easier to make than Earth.  Getting Earth finished might also make it easier to make fake planets that are similar to Earth since the files and things for an Earth-like planet are already in the game.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Panther Modern

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 03:22:16 am »

How about First Earth http://firstearthgame.com/

It seems exactly like Anteworld in premise, at the most basic level.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:22:33 am »

The description of what First Earth sounds very nice (and they've already started working on multiplayer) though the graphics in Outerra are much much better.  I kind of hope Anteworld does some of these things.

Here's the latest First Earth video.  Visually, not exactly impressive.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PRiME

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 06:41:59 pm »

Infinity engine is a very nice engine, I love how they approach building galaxies, nebulas, and star systems in general, very very clever. They could make the terrain more realistic but ultimately they are building a space sim so its not really designed around FPS on terrain surface but they definitely could do that. 

The issue with Infinity is its development state is largely unknown half the time and from what I have seen I am completely surprised they have not got a beta SDK out by now. I'm wondering if they are sorting out a deal to sell out to a private company? (bye bye indie devs), but who knows. Will see what materializes by end of year, they really need an alpha or something out, however based on allot of the comments in the forums, things are kinda in limbo...

My dream would be to have Outerra + Infinity + Unlimited Detail  all combined.. One day they will as truly the tech MUST go in that direction (any other direction is backwards).. Eventually we will have a galaxy engine that caters for everything and nothing else is required, the birth of the holodeck base construct! :)  ...

Anyway we are a long way off from that, but it may happen, lets see if we can all just get along first ;)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:43:35 pm by PRiME »

Foxiol

• Gamer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 06:05:47 pm »

I think Outerra is going to be great if not one of the best engines out there. And hope that in a near future we can build our own worlds and solar systems to explore.
In my opinion Outerra + tons of features combined is the best bet. (Cryengine tools are amazing too add whatever you want on it, i like to make islands and entire countries with it but at the end because of the size you feel limited)

(i tried to test Infinity but was impossible, servers never worked and now it is like PRiME said they are like in the limbo)