Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Too...flat?  (Read 10410 times)

konrad72

Too...flat?
« on: March 18, 2012, 05:45:59 pm »

Hi, first of all this isn't a complaint.

So I went to where I live on outerra and it all seems very flat. I look out of my window and I see quite a deep valley, with hills rising up rather high. I don't live in the mountains but it is all very hilly.
But in outerra it has the general idea that there is a valley and hills, but it all seems rather shallow.

I've been to other, more mountainous areas and they seem to match the real world perfectly.

Is this some general feature that for the less steep hills the accuracy levels mean that they aren't as defined as in real life? All I know is it is really torture to cycle up the hill to my house, but in outerra it looks like a wheelchair access ramp.

Love everything, just wondering if this is my perception playing tricks on me or if it is generally known and accepted.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Too...flat?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:58:19 pm »

Two things - make sure your FOV isn't very wide, it will deform the height perception.
Another thing is that the data we are using probably do not have sufficient resolution. We are using a global 90m dataset, a global 30m is not yet of sufficient quality.

konrad72

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:03:20 pm »

Brilliant, thanks for such a speedy response as always!

Will there eventually be a sufficient quality 30m set? Are NASA working on this? :P

Also, what would you recommend for FOV?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:23:54 pm »

There's the ASTER program, NASA + Japanese satellites. But the data from it contain too much noise, it needs several more runs to factor it out. But then it will be pretty good global coverage.
Meanwhile, we can artificially add some procedural noise, and I think our mapping introduces some filtering that doesn't help it too. Further revisions should bring better visuals.

FOV preference is individual, but here's a nice comparison by Zeos: http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=720.0

Jagerbomber

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:35:53 pm »

Also, make sure go all the way down to the ground when judging.  We're not used to being able to fly upwards freely in real life like you can in Outerra.  :P

And I don't know about how much trees your area has in real life, but having less trees at the moment in Outerra than in real life makes a big visual difference.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 07:38:03 pm »

Also, make sure go all the way down to the ground when judging.  We're not used to being able to fly upwards freely in real life like you can in Outerra.  :P

And I don't know about how much trees your area has in real life, but having less trees at the moment in Outerra than in real life makes a big visual difference.

And also place a few objects around at various distances ... lack of visual markers can play havoc on perception.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 01:52:17 am »

True. I live in a rather hilly area, but when I took a flying lession a year back, I was amazed by how flat everything was.