Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Future Maps and Shaders?  (Read 5200 times)

Luishi5k0

Future Maps and Shaders?
« on: March 05, 2013, 03:04:52 pm »

Hello, I am wondering about plans to include a couple of features I think are important.

The first being a self illumination map. What I mean is a map that allows a texture to ignore lighting and appear as though it is a light source. It does not actually have to emit light in any way.

Recently I wanted to make a building with an interior that has baked in lighting, and then specify the areas which are to be ignored by lighting and shadowing in the engine so I can just use the map. I can't see any way to do that now, which is why I think a "self illumination" map will be handy.

It could also work for defining windows on buildings so they look like they glow at dusk/night. Same with dials on a vehicle.

It could also be set where the brightness can be a value higher than 1 (representing full self brightness) and then combined with bloom it will exaggerate the glowing effect.

The other feature that I think will be handy for Outerra is a indirect lighting shader and sky lighting. After studying GTA IV ENB series more, I saw how huge of a difference it made in realistic lighting. Here are some screenshots of the effect:

Indirect:

Sky Lighting:

Open these two to compare:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/luishi5000/gta4_50.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/luishi5000/gta4_49.jpg

I know AngryPig is/was working on AO, and that's a good feature to have too, but IL and Sky Lighting have a much bigger effect on buildings and environments.

I hope with the combination of all of these effects plug ray-traced or real time reflections, Outerra can look like these GTA screenshots one day!

Also you can go to the GTA IV gallary to show some of the effects more:
http://enbdev.com/ss_gta4_01_en.htm
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:43:13 pm by Luishi5k0 »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Future Maps and Shaders?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 03:09:46 pm »

None of those picture links work.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Luishi5k0

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 03:44:10 pm »

Sorry about that, I had to go through 5 different hosts until I got that to work. They should all be good to go now. God I love indirect lighting!

I mean look at this!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:47:56 pm by Luishi5k0 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:59:06 am »

Not sure what IL is doing there (why are the guy's inner sides of legs lighted?), but if it's about lighting the shadowed parts of the scene from nearby lighted areas, then it could be handled within the AO pass.
Sky lighting - OT uses it already, though not yet in the final, more precise version. Shadows and shaded parts are lighted by the sky, you'd really notice it if it wasn't.

Reflections - will use screen space reflections where possible, falling back to the rougher environment reflections.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:00:40 am by cameni »