Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Outerra Craft??  (Read 10511 times)

KloudNine9

Outerra Craft??
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:07:53 pm »

So seeing this engine just makes me think of the endless possibilities.  But in my opinion, a game with graphics like this with a Minecraft kind of platform,I think would be a revolution to the gaming industry.  All's I can imagine is starting with nothing and building my way up to a sesna plane or helicopter.  Building a mansion and being able to fly over to my buddies houses in the mountains and helping them build up a house and a car or build some weapons and go hunting and fishing.  Start an empire or gang with friends.  I see a lot of people are looking at this as a flight simulator which it definately could be I supose but you have to gather the materials and prints to make one.  Ok Im getting carried away, but just a thought.  Is there a possibility for this or to me seems more "simulator" driven only?

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
Re: Outerra Craft??
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 03:30:58 am »

The reason minecraft works is because it breaks the world down into meter-sized cubes. There may be graphical details, but everything is defined on that scale.

Outerra is fundamentally incompatible; it is based instead on a heightmap (though there are obviously some modifications to that, I'm not sure what). The difference between a height map and a minecraft like "voxel" space is very large- and making a switch would critically change how the world is structured.

The closest we could see is something where you can place buildings (or building parts such as walls and doorways and floors) on a grid, and possibly even dig trenches into the ground or even make tunnels and caves below the terrain surface- but it won't be the same as what Minecraft can do.

Outerra has the potential to be very unique- much like minecraft itself is. As tempting as it may be to mash two great things together, it is better to allow Anteworld/Outerra to be its own thing.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:23:58 am »

Cameni has mentioned the creation of caves and tunnels.. And we discussed the ability to "dig" in the ground. Where your shovel or a backhoe would simply remove height of the ground and could dump it elsewhere. I guess that would be the MOST hardcore version of minecraft ever.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:35:33 am »

Cameni has mentioned the creation of caves and tunnels.. And we discussed the ability to "dig" in the ground. Where your shovel or a backhoe would simply remove height of the ground and could dump it elsewhere. I guess that would be the MOST hardcore version of minecraft ever.

Ha... You haven't seen mining in Wurm Online have you?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

atazs

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 06:48:42 pm »

I agree with all this. I dont want any flight simulators or any vehicle simulators because they would become boring after a while. Sure it would be great but still boring after a few months. Something like the OP said or a military simulator would be the best. Im still hoping for a game like wurm online

Matt6767

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 07:22:35 pm »

Ha... You haven't seen mining in Wurm Online have you?

Five noobs going at an wall for an hour in the mine at night with wolves camping the Entrance. Awesome fun.  8)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:24:51 pm by Matt6767 »