Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Question about OSM roads  (Read 7900 times)

mctash

Question about OSM roads
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:16:27 pm »

Hey all,

I have seen Cameni mention that importing road data from open street map should be doable. What are we talking about here though? Is it possible that we could import an entire countrys road network? If that is the case what would that do to performance?

I just thinking about how great it would be to just drive round different countries for hours. (My idea of fun may not be yours :) :) ) Hopefully we will have something a little more nippy than the tatra though.

Jagerbomber

Re: Question about OSM roads
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 05:19:11 pm »

There's many threads on this already.  I'm not sure how you haven't seen them.  :o

I prefer laying out the real roads myself.  ;D
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

mctash

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 05:47:45 pm »

About importing the entire road network from a country and its effect on performance? I will try the search bar! :)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:54:43 pm »

Well.. not necessarily on performance...
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:05:10 am »

Roads don't add new polygons, they can only impact the dynamic performance, i.e. slow down the creation of terrain tiles. As usual, it's most demanding when you are close to the ground, roads further from you aren't rebuilt that often.

There's also one rare case that can happen with the roads (when road intersects with itself), because of which the roads aren't drawn as effectively as they could be. My guess is that once this is handled, it will hide 10x increase in roads density.