Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Linking the view of several PCs with anteworld (master slave)  (Read 8726 times)

eisenopferd

Linking the view of several PCs with anteworld (master slave)
« on: September 15, 2013, 11:14:25 am »

Hi guys,

is there any chance to link several PCs together? I would like to play with one installation of anteworld and a fiew other PCs are conected via lan and show the same view. After changing the direction of view on the clients I would have a perfect surround view.
It could be possible too to display the instruments from the cessna on another screen.

Nice idea?

cheers /Hendrik/

Edit: I just found a topic that seems that you are working on that.
http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=1895.msg20721#msg20721

Any news from that topic?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 11:23:10 am by eisenopferd »
i5 2400 ; AMD 6950 Eyefinity6
i3 4160 ; intel 4400

Jagerbomber

Re: Linking the view of several PCs with anteworld (master slave)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:52:08 am »

Is that even doable?  :o

It might be buggy, but wouldn't it be simpler to use Nvidia's Surround or AMD's Eyefinity?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 12:23:37 pm »

Is that even doable?  :o

It might be buggy, but wouldn't it be simpler to use Nvidia's Surround or AMD's Eyefinity?

I think he wanted to do the same thing as sim-pit builders do for instruments ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

eisenopferd

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 03:04:16 am »

I want to have different views looking in different directions. The same is possible with xplane or wideview for fs2004 / fsx.
With eyefinity only one plane view is generated. With this setup no real 180° view (or even more) is possible.
The solution could be the pre-rendering cylindrical projection. We had this discussion here a few months before...
i3 4160 ; intel 4400

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 04:05:59 am »

Yes, this is usually called "multi-channel" simulation.
It's the capability where the Image generator / soft can operate simultaneously on multiple computers.
With high-end simulations, where you have many high-res displays/projectors,
plus small displays dedicated for instruments, plus a lot of physical controllers ( sticks, knobs, pedals, buttons, etc...) +++
you hardly can use one single computer.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

foxfiles

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:54:45 am »

as for cylindrical and spherical projections, OT is already having these possibilities,
see in the Menu, Graphics, bottom right, but they are annotated as "experimental)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 09:47:18 am »

I have had this discussion a while ago. Eventually OT should allow you to define different camera's and just have them all render in an eyefinity environment meaning you can do just about anything you like with a single computer with no stretching on side screens and even get 90° between displays.

POST 2000! Angrypig has a lot of catching up to do.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

eisenopferd

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 10:02:08 am »

Thanks for the answers. It could be a performance problem. OT is able to render enough frames with my 6600x1024px Eyefinity but if it would be possible with different render-windows on the same gpu?
The cylindrical projection could be the better way. I didn`t test it for a wile.

/Hendrik/
i3 4160 ; intel 4400

foxfiles

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 11:42:25 am »

can do just about anything you like with a single computer

@ZeosPantera
but this is the good question : what is " anything " ? it depends on what u want to do, for example think about running many 4K displays, or 12 full HD projectors, with OT world having many large imported models, and so on, with very good frame rates...
It might be possible with a good single gaming computer, but I wonder?

BTW there is an interesting youtube video where one Microsoft guy is pushing on graphics in gaming (see below),
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OEZ9qBxYiw#action=share 

so it sounds that soon we will be able to run properly with many many pixels?

eisenopferd

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 12:04:33 pm »

I just found the former discussion about one year ago.
http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=705.msg14610#msg14610

I`m not at home at the moment. I did not test the cylindrical projection since it was fixed a fiew months ago.
i3 4160 ; intel 4400

aWac9

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 12:23:23 pm »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:51:27 pm by aWac9 »

foxfiles

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 08:50:52 am »

Hendrick, I don't understand well what you are trying to do :
- display different views on multiple displays ? as Zeospantera said, it would mean that OT is able to create different cameras/views, so far it is not possible I think...
- one extended single view with multiple displays ? then with your Eyefinity card and changing FOV in OT, it should be pretty easy ?

or you have another setup ? with projectors and a non flat screen ???

eisenopferd

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 11:38:45 am »

@Fixfiles: OK its confusing now.
First I bought the 6950 Eyefinity Card. With this I have one screen in windows with 6600x1024 px. The Card shows these pixels over 5 physical TFTs.
With this I´m able to display FS2004, FSX, XPlane, Outerra with one single window over 5 screens.
But this is only one plane image, like sitting 30cm in front of a 2m large window frame. The picture has big distortions. In my Setup I`m bending this wide image around me (positioning the screens in a circle) but the picture in the screens have still these distortions. With this setup its not possible to display a view-angle largen than 179° (because the "frame" looking through would have to have a infinity scale).
Please read the explanation from cameni in the discussion a jear ago. http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=705.msg14610#msg14610

Now we have a fiew possible solutions:
1: Displaying multiple views on each screen. Each view has to face in a different direction (0°, 45°, 90°...) so the distortion is reduced because of the lower viewing angle per screen. But the simulator has to render different views.
2: Like 1: but rendering on different PCs. This is normal for big comercial sims. You explaned it before. One master for the flight dynamics and many clients for the views. Each client gets the position in the scenery from the master and is facing to another direction.
3: Only one rendering machine with a cylindrical projection, so each pixel of the picture is facing to another direction. So it should be possible to render a 360° picture.

The solution in 1: is not possible in xplane (only one window per game) and with FS2004/FSX it is a FPS eater.
Right now I`m trying to build solution 2: with a rack with 5 PCs in my cellar do display the views. This should work with FSX and Wideview (you could try a look at his website). It should be possible with Xplane too.
The solution 3: with outerra would be gorgeous. I`m lookin forward to test it.

I`m very sorry if you are more confused as before now  :o (perhaps because of my english)

Cheers /Hendrik/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:42:08 am by eisenopferd »
i3 4160 ; intel 4400

foxfiles

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 12:23:13 pm »

@Hendrik
No problem with your English which is fine. I'm not fluent either  ;D
Thanks for your explanation. I see now what you are doing,
do you want to see more than 180 degrees with 5 screens ??? 

I know about wideview (it's an Italian developer if I remember well, especially running with FSX, no?)

I think that :
1 (possibility of having different cameras views) + 3 (cylindrical or spherical on some views)
would be terrific  :P
and I believe that it might be feasible on a single strong CPU but maybe with several GPUs ?

Good luck in your tests and please give us some feedback
Denis

eisenopferd

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 01:38:12 pm »

do you want to see more than 180 degrees with 5 screens ??? 

I know about wideview (it's an Italian developer if I remember well, especially running with FSX, no?)

180° would be fine for me, it it does a true sideview.
Widewiev works with FS2004 and FSX

The GPU could be the bottleneck. Outerra is quite fast, but its not easy to compare. Xplane for example does much more then outerra / but not so nice...
Outerra with multi GPU support without microstutters would be fine...

A year ago I had the opportunity to visit a pro EC135 sim. The visual system was powered by 10 beamers. One full 19" rack for the computers only for the visuals...
i3 4160 ; intel 4400
Pages: [1] 2