Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Severe Off-Road Game - Some thoughts for Outerra  (Read 15466 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
New Severe Off-Road Game - Some thoughts for Outerra
« on: May 19, 2012, 03:21:13 am »

http://www.oovee.co.uk/games/upcoming-games/spin-tires/

Take a look at this.

I think we can get the physics down with bullet. The models are certainly better in OT. And ground deformation is possible here as well. Make it so #1.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: New Severe Off-Road Game - Some thoughts for Outerra
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 04:36:59 am »

a nice one ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

kcgb

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:24:29 am »

be awsome when its possible in outerra

murkz

• The Antisocial Gamer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 08:34:45 am »

That is very nice, will Outerra be able to do this as well?

Kviki

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 10:04:22 am »

Cameni said in a comment on the dirt roads video that it will be implemented. What I'm really impressed about in this video is the water (not the splashes, the surface effects)! It looks damn sexy.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 10:49:08 am »

Looks like a direct update to Off-Road Drive to me, though it looks like it's not made by the same guys?

Also, yeah that certainly does have a possible Outerra feel to it doesn't it?  ;D

I wonder if land deformation and mud of that quality or similar would even be possible in Outerra sometime?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:55:49 am by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 01:46:57 pm »

Well land deformation is going to be done.. The water is the big question mark since currently water is just a thing and not physical or interactive.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 02:33:47 pm »

Yeah, but I'm wondering how good the deformation and mud can look on this engine/OpenGL.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

SpaceFlight

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 04:23:12 am »

Yeah, but I'm wondering how good the deformation and mud can look on this engine/OpenGL.
I am only a layman, but I think OpenGL 4 has at least the same functionality as DirectX 11.
I read somewhere that it is faster, not tied to Windows platforms and open source.
Microsoft has the bigger marketing budget though.  :P
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:11:54 am by SpaceFlight »
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

angrypig

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 04:46:08 am »

Deformation or other features have nothing to to with 3D API (DX/GL).

Here is very nice comparison of GL and DX capabilities
http://rastergrid.com/blog/2011/10/opengl-vs-directx-the-war-is-far-from-over

stjern

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 04:58:41 am »

Spin tires is another promising russian Off-road game. Did anyone try the demo?

The best Off-road game is no doubt the russian "UAZ 4x4". I spent so many hours playing that awesome game.

Off-Road Drive was a BIG let down from UAZ 4x4 imo. Open terrain and realism is much more fun.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 05:27:23 am »

Spin tires is another promising russian Off-road game. Did anyone try the demo?

The best Off-road game is no doubt the russian "UAZ 4x4". I spent so many hours playing that awesome game.

Off-Road Drive was a BIG let down from UAZ 4x4 imo. Open terrain and realism is much more fun.

My favorite one was actually KRAZ from them. Just because its a little more fun to handle bigger machines ... actually, it would be interesting to hawe the posability to drive in Outerra taking the gearbox in mind ... i know that russians started to put automatics on theyr new tech. but still. its a little more spicy to worry about the stick in critical situations. : P
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Avalkiz

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 02:59:52 pm »

Sorry for the month old bump, but I liked this game and I'd love to see some of the features in Outerra :3
I tried the demo, I recommend it! I was enjoying it for around 3 hours until the map ran out of packages to deliver :)
It's fun to get stuck in deep mud and try to get your truck out :) And the graphics and physics are really nice!
I even made a video:

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 04:21:37 pm »

Some of my gameplay. You can see there are good bits and some cheating. Like how everything more than 200 feet away is completely blurry.

Juggernautz

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 04:29:20 pm »

Bokeh depth of field is a nice way to hide LOD popping I suppose but it's more expensive due to the post-process requirement. Also, from what I understand, it creates a couple of issues with transparencies like alpha'd images (2D grass billboards etc). Further, it's not exactly realistic and kinda difficult to judge the correct 'depth' desired by the player; especially over vast distances like the Outerra engine is capable of. It's nice to see the clear silhouettes of mountains and forests in the distance. Shouldn't be too hard to implement and prototype though and would make a great option for creating videos/photos etc where you purposefully want to shift the viewers focus.
Pages: [1] 2