Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42

Author Topic: (old) 0.7.12 version branch  (Read 293255 times)

FeedMeCheese

Re: Development version: 0.7.12.3230
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2012, 08:13:33 am »

Great! (I knew it was me not flying properly :P) I'll be sure to check the Issue Tracker next time I find a problem!

lookastdu

• cars <3
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2012, 08:57:49 am »

Omg! Omg! Omg! Go buy a better computer :D. But as I observed, most of the "problems" are caused because of the low resolution settings.So if you pump up a bit the stats and your computer can handle it, the "problems" disappear.
This isn't rather problem of low res settings. :P If I change settings to higher then I have more black squares. As cameni said, it may be problem with depth buffer.

Btw. cameni, should I add "black squares problem" and the last one to xtrac?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2012, 09:37:53 am »

Yes please add it, so we are reminded about it. Btw did you report it to AMD? Any response?

lookastdu

• cars <3
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2012, 11:11:04 am »

Oh no, I'm stupid... I reported it quadrans ago. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Ok, here's another issue:
I decided to turn on shadows and bam:

As you can see it looks like the whole terrain is under shadow of something invisible (I know that doesn't have sense... :P ).
My shadow settings: 1024x1024, 1 sample, 1 kernel size, 8000 shadow distance.
Also look at grass, it looks like rendered properly, without shadow.

Take a look at this low-resolution something ( 0:03 on video ).

Another interesting thing: everytime I spawn truck with 3 button the game crashes... You probably got crash report also. It started to happen after turning on shadows.

Edit: Radeon 3870 + Catalyst 12.6
Edit 2: I changed shadows settings to:
8 samples, 2 kernel size, 10'000 shadows distance. And now it works properly. :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:20:42 am by lookastdu »

lookastdu

• cars <3
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2012, 12:38:35 pm »

I found some time ago this problem on 3220 version, but it still exists at 3230:
Video #1:
Video #2:
For me it looks like the ambient lightning is only applied if camera is closer to ground/object than about 1m(?). It appears on ground as well as on vehicle.

Ok, some news:
After turning on shadows (1024x1024, 4 samples, 1 kernel size) problem of "shadow when camera is very close to ground/object" doesn't exist. :) But black squares are still...
I can spawn truck too.

It looks that setting shadowmap sample to 1, 2 or 3 (but there will be always 1, I reported about it on xtrac, issue #86) makes problem I described in previous post and causes game crash after spawning truck.

Summarising:

no shadows -> spawning truck works, weird shadow when camera is very close to ground/object
1 shadowmap sample, 1 kernel size -> spawning truck crashes game, the whole terrain is under shadow (as you can see on vid from prev post)
4+ shadowmap sample, 1+ kernel size -> spawning truck works, no weird shadows when camera is very close to ground/object

Black squares bug occurs on every combination :P
There is still 1 thing unresolved from previous post: this low-resolution thing (fragment of terrain?) at 0:03 ( )
Coords for this place: LAT: +21*35'29"   LON: -157*54'23"   HDG: 210   Altitude: 220m
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:44:15 pm by lookastdu »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2012, 01:26:06 pm »

The crash report (after spawning truck) isn't related to the shadows. It's a bug that's already fixed internally, when you spawned truck being higher above terrain or looking more upwards, it sometimes crashed.

Can you post screenshot from that terrain bug? Just a small one, so I can jump into it (screenshots have GPS info embedded).

lookastdu

• cars <3
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2012, 01:32:21 pm »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #292 on: August 28, 2012, 02:13:37 pm »

Thanks, I can't reproduce it here on 460 GTX, but maybe it isn't related to your ATI 3xxx but to your settings, can you share your world.cfg?

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #293 on: August 28, 2012, 03:52:53 pm »

I don't think it's a bug.  If you look closely, all those areas are near forests, and concentrated mostly within them.  I think it's the lairs of the Things That Want to Kill You in the Anteworld game ;)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2012, 04:08:07 pm »

Wow.. Trying to launch Outerra through steam has some very odd side effects.. Like all the terrain disappearing.

Damned steam overlay.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

lookastdu

• cars <3
« Reply #295 on: August 28, 2012, 05:12:41 pm »

Ok, here is my world.cfg

Jagerbomber

« Reply #296 on: August 28, 2012, 11:05:12 pm »

Wow.. Trying to launch Outerra through steam has some very odd side effects.. Like all the terrain disappearing.

Damned steam overlay.

Did you miss all the things we said before?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2012, 11:27:34 pm »

I don't read posts.. I just create them.

And I had to try it.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #298 on: September 01, 2012, 05:01:11 pm »

In my attempts of creating bridges between islands and islands from Road terrain.I got to some points that I don't really know how to make them work.So...

Any idea how I could make the transition between terrain and road without the border line.The line from the end of the road like in this pictures:

- http://postimage.org/image/8owfg8t1n/full/
- http://postimage.org/image/e1jr3foj9/full/

And how do I make them blend in the same way?As you will see in the next picture, the grass from the island terrain is more beautiful and the one from the road is not so colorful and well grown like the one from the real terrain.Can we make it grow in some way?

- http://postimage.org/image/x7vunv05v/full/

And this is the road island that I tried to enlarge it between two other small islands, eh it is not so big, but big enough to make some other roads on it and place some huts , tents , houses , etc... , and its more like a bridge between two islands:

- http://postimage.org/image/45wwsmgrz/full/

And here is something like a grass / road bridge, where I observed that the waves sometimes they go trough the "bridge", but in this last picture you can't see if the waves go trough and trough the terrain, cause I managed to figure it out a bit, I rose the terrain a bit and the waves didn't react like nothing was there, but if it was smaller it would've gone trough it like it was nothing:

- http://postimage.org/image/4krbt4wa9/full/         

And the last thing, I know that the road if it goes trough the forest it removes the trees in its path... but if we would like to make a grass/dirt road that would not affect the trees, you know like in the park or forest where there are some roads formed from a lot of walking over those paths on that ground.
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #299 on: September 01, 2012, 05:21:55 pm »

To get the road endpoints blended into terrain you have to set the node type to lead-in and lead-out for the startpoint and a node before the endpoint, respectively.

Grass grows lower near the road, but it should not be so for the natural roads, i.e. for the ones that aren't supposed to change the material type, so it's a bug. The road system will be updated so that these things (+ the tree clearing out) can be made configurable.

The ocean waves probably don't take large artificial sea floor changes into account when computing the wave parameters, although it would be good to check whether it still does not respect the new shores after restarting the program.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42