Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 42

Author Topic: (old) 0.7.12 version branch  (Read 293009 times)

Deutschmark

Re: Development version: 0.7.12.3230
« Reply #315 on: September 04, 2012, 04:40:46 pm »

Yes, the next one will come with the first version of the importer, initially for static objects.

Well as soon as I get my hands on that there will be a lot of static airplanes to fill up them empty airports.  :)

Deutschmark
I have not come across a polygon yet that I have not been able to model with

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #316 on: September 04, 2012, 06:03:25 pm »

Well as soon as I get my hands on that there will be a lot of static airplanes to fill up them empty airports.  :)

Deutschmark

I have already planed alike 3-4 medieval cities that will be made!

But the thing is... will there be a possibility to make some kind of save backups? I mean if we cannot save from inside the engine... can we at least know what files we can save or replace to do or undo what we would had done wrong... or we simply just don't see perfection in it and have the need to be redone.Cause for example now.. I have made some big "bubu" in some parts of the world on the terrain.And in some zones it happens to be needing them.And I can't undo what I have made.It is purely bugged.

For now to resolve it I started downloading via torrent all the terrain files to have them for safety in my computer and replace the damaged terrain.

But the thing is if we have made a hole city already, and happens to us to have made a mistake... in some close place... and we can't undo it and that zone is of relevance.Just saying.When some things happen and we must learn to have a backup with the buildings / objects and all terrain modifications.

And there is another thing, can we have an option for those who can log in.After we log in, if we have all the files or if we have already downloaded via server the zone that we work on and need nothing else, we could have the possibility to work offline?...even if we get disconnected and don't have internet after we log in, and not get disconnected, or maybe even unplug the cable to assure the safety and private property of the content that we create, not to be uploaded to others.And only if we wish and want to.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:58:24 pm by Midviki »
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #317 on: September 05, 2012, 01:01:44 am »

All terrain modifications and object placements are stored in the cache folder. Original terrain data files are never modified.
In the cache folder it's stored in an internal hierarchic structure that's a bit awkward to navigate, so there will have to be some tools helping with that.

Your files are private to you now and will be forever in the sandbox mode, only in the game mode you'll get updates from others but that's gong to be stored separately. There will be also an offline mode later for the sandbox.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #318 on: September 05, 2012, 01:09:12 am »

Perhaps a backup and restore function on the cache folder. I can see heartbreak for a few people that delete it or reinstall without keeping it.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #319 on: September 05, 2012, 02:45:17 am »

Oh.. Cameni'i , Cameni'i , Camen'i ... I would be lost without you! (This coming from a guy (lol) ) ;D You are so helpful... your wife must love you or will if you don't have if you keep it like this , very much! ( ... I think this was awkward... wasn't it?.. was it?... dunno  ::) )

Thank you again for the info  :)
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2012, 02:55:22 am »

Perhaps a backup and restore function on the cache folder. I can see heartbreak for a few people that delete it or reinstall without keeping it.
Yes but nobody backups their stuff only until it starts smoking. IMO the best way would be to store the modifications in the cloud, we need to do it for game devs who will work in a distributed manner and will acquire a realm where their game will reside, and perhaps this could be used even for individuals (maybe with some limits).

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #321 on: September 06, 2012, 03:09:16 am »

Since the Minus messed up and published screens I had uploaded for our modeler so he could see the bugs that had to be fixed, and Zeos snatched them before I found out, I might as well show them here :)
Note: beta materials, WIP. The original model by Amit Chippa

Current state:

Earlier ones with various bugs, but showing different angles (no antialiasing on these):

A raw model as it came from the importer:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:15:48 am by cameni »

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #322 on: September 06, 2012, 03:18:36 am »

No AA?...that looks really awesome! Great work Cameni. Can't wait to import my models. :)

Marko

Deutschmark

« Reply #323 on: September 06, 2012, 03:21:32 am »

And seeing that you have a nice model importer... ammmm... :)
Am sure you know what am thinking...  ;D

O... BTW... like the car  8)

Deutschmark
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:23:12 am by Deutschmark »

Chaoz

« Reply #324 on: September 06, 2012, 04:01:51 am »

BMW just look awesome

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #325 on: September 06, 2012, 04:53:38 am »

As soon as it stops crashing here and there, the importer is yours ;)

Deutschmark

« Reply #326 on: September 06, 2012, 05:10:21 am »

As soon as it stops crashing here and there, the importer is yours ;)

O boy you made my day... week.. month.. so on...  ;D

Deutschmark

FeedMeCheese

« Reply #327 on: September 06, 2012, 06:13:25 am »

Wow! Amazing! Can't wait to import some models!

Just a few questions though, will you continue to provide built in spawn-able vehicles or will there be a site where users can share them (much like a lot of other sandbox games such as Garry's Mod)

Also, when multi-player is added, will the client have to download all the models the server is using if the server is using custom models?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #328 on: September 06, 2012, 06:47:27 am »

We aren't going to host the public models because of the legal issues, and we don't plan to make a site for sharing them, but Outerra servers will function as trackers for the models. That means when someone imports a vehicle, it gets a unique identifier and a record about it can be uploaded to the server (must be if he means to use it in multiplayer). The record will contain the information needed to display some basic info about the vehicle like the name, a thumbnail image, a bounding box or bounding geometry, together with a user-provided link where the model can be downloaded.

If you encounter someone in a vehicle for what you don't have a model (and you would see just a labeled bounding geometry in the game), it can be downloaded automatically for you as long as the model file is reachable and can be downloaded. It would be best to support some services that enable anyone to put their models somewhere, for example the Google Drive. So in theory, when uploading the model info it could ask you if it should be uploaded to one of the supported hosting services, or you would provide a link to it. However, since the hosting usually requires an user interaction (clicking on the link), a web window would pop up if the file cannot be downloaded directly.

We are going to have a special extension for the compressed package files, and in our internal browser there will be an automatic url handler, meaning that if you click on a link pointing to a download of the package file, the engine would recognize it automatically and install the model(s) for you.
It also opens the possibility for someone to make a sharing site where people could put up their models, and the site could be either browsed from within the engine through its internal browser or through an external one, launching OT to install the models when an OT package file was downloaded.

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #329 on: September 06, 2012, 06:53:55 am »

This is very interesting. Thank you for the explanation Cameni!

Marko
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 42